PDA

View Full Version : in tank fuel pickup removal

small ranger
09-04-2007, 07:52 PM
I have an 84 ranger v6, 2.8l. I think the fuel tank pickup in the fuel tank may have a small hole. I was getting air in the fuel line, so I replaced my whole fuel line. I am still getting air in the fuel line, however I only get air in the line when I have less then half a tank of gas. So my question is how do I open the tank to replace the pick up??? Thanks for any advice.

--->dave

skippy
09-04-2007, 09:12 PM
I have an 84 ranger v6, 2.8l. I think the fuel tank pickup in the fuel tank may have a small hole. I was getting air in the fuel line, so I replaced my whole fuel line. I am still getting air in the fuel line, however I only get air in the line when I have less then half a tank of gas. So my question is how do I open the tank to replace the pick up??? Thanks for any advice.

--->dave

fwiw,i've seen it posted here and a ford service tech told me that the best way is to remove the bed,then you have all the access you need.hope this helps.

small ranger
09-05-2007, 09:21 AM
I have droped the fuel tank before and it was very easy (5 min easy). I am looking for info on actually opening the tank. Thanks.

dave

F84R
01-06-2008, 12:04 AM
I had to drop my tank and on the top there is a lock ring around the sending unit/pickup tube. you have to hammer it counter clockwise with a screwdriver and the ring should come loose and the assembly is free

Hotrodlincoln
01-07-2008, 07:44 PM
If its not rusted to hell like mine was then it should come off no trouble. Mine fell apart. :p Just do what F84R said.

krugford
01-07-2008, 09:41 PM
You dropped a fuel tank in five minutes?... and you don't know how to open the tank?

Well, as stated above, you just turn the lock ring counter-clockwise and pull the pump. I, personally, have always found it easier to pull the bed, but that topic is usually split right down the middle.

Good luck!

enginepaul
01-08-2008, 12:25 AM
How about a brass drift punch instead of the screwdriver. Sparks and gas fumes can be dangerous.
When I did mine, I dropped the tank and then tapped the unit out using a piece of copper pipe (couldn't find my brass punch) to unscrew it.

Black'03LevelII
01-08-2008, 03:10 AM
no need to "open" the tank just do what F84R said and unlock and remove the sending unit. as far as "opening" the tank I would think you'd need to cut the seams and that wouldn't be good.

NixRanger
10-31-2008, 02:11 AM
Fuel sending unit in my Ranger is dead - am tired of relying on the trip odometer to tell me when it's time to fuel up, so I'm gonna do the R & R (remove and replace) project.
so......not ever having done this, I've been reading up and see there are 2 opinions on accessing the tank
Is this one of those "six of one, half a dozen of the other" kinda project ??

I helped a friend drop a tank on his full size car many years ago, it was a real pain.

But to remove the entire bed???? Mine's a longbed, if that makes any difference.

enginepaul
10-31-2008, 02:00 PM
I dropped my tank and it wasn't that hard. I used a transmission jack to lower it a wheel it out and it was a one man job.
As stated above; Use a brass or copper drift to be sure there are no sparks; you only need one spark to die. Even empty tanks have exploded so be careful.

OilPatch197
10-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Fuel sending unit in my Ranger is dead - am tired of relying on the trip odometer to tell me when it's time to fuel up, so I'm gonna do the R & R (remove and replace) project.
so......not ever having done this, I've been reading up and see there are 2 opinions on accessing the tank
Is this one of those "six of one, half a dozen of the other" kinda project ??

I helped a friend drop a tank on his full size car many years ago, it was a real pain.

But to remove the entire bed???? Mine's a longbed, if that makes any difference.

To remove the bed:

Remove tailights, three fuel pipe scews and six Bed bolts. Use two people and lift it up and slide it back.

I'm telling ya, it's easier than changing oil.:stop: