• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

in tank fuel pickup removal

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
I have an 84 ranger v6, 2.8l. I think the fuel tank pickup in the fuel tank may have a small hole. I was getting air in the fuel line, so I replaced my whole fuel line. I am still getting air in the fuel line, however I only get air in the line when I have less then half a tank of gas. So my question is how do I open the tank to replace the pick up??? Thanks for any advice.

--->dave

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
I have an 84 ranger v6, 2.8l. I think the fuel tank pickup in the fuel tank may have a small hole. I was getting air in the fuel line, so I replaced my whole fuel line. I am still getting air in the fuel line, however I only get air in the line when I have less then half a tank of gas. So my question is how do I open the tank to replace the pick up??? Thanks for any advice.

--->dave
fwiw,i've seen it posted here and a ford service tech told me that the best way is to remove the bed,then you have all the access you need.hope this helps.

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
I have droped the fuel tank before and it was very easy (5 min easy). I am looking for info on actually opening the tank. Thanks.

dave

F84R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had to drop my tank and on the top there is a lock ring around the sending unit/pickup tube. you have to hammer it counter clockwise with a screwdriver and the ring should come loose and the assembly is free

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If its not rusted to hell like mine was then it should come off no trouble. Mine fell apart. :p Just do what F84R said.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You dropped a fuel tank in five minutes?... and you don't know how to open the tank?

Well, as stated above, you just turn the lock ring counter-clockwise and pull the pump. I, personally, have always found it easier to pull the bed, but that topic is usually split right down the middle.

Good luck!

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How about a brass drift punch instead of the screwdriver. Sparks and gas fumes can be dangerous.
When I did mine, I dropped the tank and then tapped the unit out using a piece of copper pipe (couldn't find my brass punch) to unscrew it.

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
no need to "open" the tank just do what F84R said and unlock and remove the sending unit. as far as "opening" the tank I would think you'd need to cut the seams and that wouldn't be good.

NixRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
who else makes
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Pull the bed vs. drop the tank ??

Fuel sending unit in my Ranger is dead - am tired of relying on the trip odometer to tell me when it's time to fuel up, so I'm gonna do the R & R (remove and replace) project.
so......not ever having done this, I've been reading up and see there are 2 opinions on accessing the tank
Is this one of those "six of one, half a dozen of the other" kinda project ??

I helped a friend drop a tank on his full size car many years ago, it was a real pain.

But to remove the entire bed???? Mine's a longbed, if that makes any difference.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I dropped my tank and it wasn't that hard. I used a transmission jack to lower it a wheel it out and it was a one man job.
As stated above; Use a brass or copper drift to be sure there are no sparks; you only need one spark to die. Even empty tanks have exploded so be careful.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel sending unit in my Ranger is dead - am tired of relying on the trip odometer to tell me when it's time to fuel up, so I'm gonna do the R & R (remove and replace) project.
so......not ever having done this, I've been reading up and see there are 2 opinions on accessing the tank
Is this one of those "six of one, half a dozen of the other" kinda project ??

I helped a friend drop a tank on his full size car many years ago, it was a real pain.

But to remove the entire bed???? Mine's a longbed, if that makes any difference.
To remove the bed:

Remove tailights, three fuel pipe scews and six Bed bolts. Use two people and lift it up and slide it back.

I'm telling ya, it's easier than changing oil.:stop:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals