• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 - 4.0 swap

Holcz89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 95 ranger 2WD with a 3.0. i need to replace my trans and i figured since i was at it why not drop in a 4.0. this is the first time that i have ever done anything like this. and i have a few people that know what they are doing willing to help me with this. but i havent a clue as to what i will need. im guessing new mounts, wiring, and the computer. what trans should i bolt on it and what will i need for the trans int he way of mounting it underneath.
and is there any tricks or tips that i should know of making any of the install or anything easier or faster. i appreciate anyone willing to give me adive. thanks.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you need the engine with accessories, transmission, engine wiring harness, PCM, and exhaust with y-pipe.

youll need to use whichever transmission is bolted to the engine when you pull it.

Holcz89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok i am getting a crate motor from fords. im not sure what tranny i wanna put on it yet. any suggestions? i know that i need new mounts and a radiator. and when i get the trans for it will the mounts for that be different or can i still use the ones for the 3.0

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does your truck have a 5 sp or auto? You should be able to go to a juck yard and get most of the parts like rad, mounts, cross members and such. If you have an auto then get an auto from behind a 4.0 and vice versa for a 5 sp. Less stuff to change out. Why swapping motors anyway?

Holcz89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
its an auto and i found out that my trans isnt sealed properly. the fluid in it has never been changed and i have heard stories from poeple that changing the fluid in it now could cause the whole thing to just fall apart. so one way or another i need a trans. as for the motor i figured since i was gonna go this far that i should rebuild the motor. its got 192k and i just thought that if it wasnt going to be such a pain in the ass it would be cool to put the 4.0 in but im finding out that keeping the 3.0 in it is going to save me a major headache and some green.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals