• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drop i-beams question

shoyam33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 93 Ranger and I bought a set of used drop beams. They look like the chassis tech ones but not sure. My question is i don't know what years they are for. On the chassis tech website they show two different pairs 83-88 and 89-97. What is the difference and how can I tell which ones I have? Thanks

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Beams for the 83-88 have the ball joints installed in them.

Beams for the 89-97 do not have balljoints installed in them. From 89 up Ford put the ball joints in the spindles.

I installed some 83-88 beams in my 94 since I had some spindles from my 85 sitting around. This way I was able to completely assemble the beam and spindle together and then save time to put them in when I did the drop.

Monzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with Jughead. I installed early drop beams and spindles in my 89. I saved like 40lbs per side. Got way more adjustment with the slug in the spindle vs. with the slug in the beam. And it was approx 2" skinnier track width in the front.

volrath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I agree with Jughead. I installed early drop beams and spindles in my 89. I saved like 40lbs per side. Got way more adjustment with the slug in the spindle vs. with the slug in the beam. And it was approx 2" skinnier track width in the front.
2" skinnier? i never new that. what about your tires then? any problem with clearance like turning radius?

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Nope, they're not 2" skinnier. I think he is rather talking about the rear axle. The Gen I and II's are skinnier by about 3" in the back from the Gen III's and up.

Just to be sure... I'll measure the next stock Gen III I see. That will hopefully be tomorrow.

Monzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My rear axle has always been a smaller track width that the front. After I installed the 88 drop beams, the front was very close to the rear. Within 1inch. They are the welded beam style. 1988 spindles with 89 rotors and calipers. Unless these have been modified. (They did a real good job)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals