• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally got the 4.0 running.

Burnside

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So its been almost 6 months since I started the swap, bought a house somewhere in there so that has kept me occupied but I finally got back out there poking around at it and I finally head it fire up.

If anyone remembers I had the problem of no spark and I don't know why. I was out there having my buddy crank while I checked for spark, nothing as usual but this time I got shocked when he let off the start position. Now I check again and sure as shit when he lets off the start position I saw a single spark.

It did this when I had the 2.9 in it, it was so that I had to get it cranking then let off real quick and it'd fire, didn't have spark while starter was engaged but would when I'd let go but it'd fire up like that and since its a wheeling rig I thought nothing more.

I stuffed a jumper wire into the coil pack conenctor to B+ and it fired right up and ran.

So that narrows it down to the chasis side of things. I had this problem before I did the engine swap.

The wiring diagrams in the haynes manual are worthless so I was wondering if someone had a pin out of the big ass connector at the fire wall. Ideally I can just rig it up nascar style and have a toggle switch for ignition on/off.

Anyone ever have this problem, should I just replace the ignition switch instead.

She breathes. :headbang:

Last edited:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
you might look on ebay for the evtm for your truck.it helped me immensely when re-pinning the big connector on the drivers side firewall.i got one for my truck and one for the donor truck.i'm not the one to ask but it does sound like your spark issue does have something to do with the ignition switch.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Didn't I load you my diagrams and manuals, Burnside? I can't remember who has had them. If you want them, let me know. Just ship them back to me when you're done.

Burnside

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No sir I don't have your manuals, I believe you offered several months ago when I had originally posted this problem. I actually ordered the factory EVTM off of ebay this morning. I am gonna try and fix it cleanly so I don't have to fix this same problem twice. I am wondering if its simply the ignition switch? Anyone ever have any troubles with their ignition switch? I haven't had any time to look at it again, been working too much.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have them, but I thought you had borrowed them in the past.

That's a great book you've got coming. It will show you what to test in the ignition switch connector.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just remember that the red/green is run and red/blue is crank.

Sounds like you have something crossed. Could be crossed up in the neutral start switch wires from the old A4LD.

For and M5OD there is a Pink wire that comes through the cannon plug at the firewall this comes from the clutch interlock.

Burnside

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the m5od was swapped in over a year ago and its started and ran quite a bit since then. but that does make a whole lot of sense.. to tell ya the truth I don't remember when it started doing this hard start bs. might have been right after the manual swap... damnit i need there to be about 4 more hours in a day.

Last edited:

Burnside

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
it's fixed. it was the ignition switch. Bizarre thing, spade the black pink wire would be going to was completely folded over, not going into the femal connector.... All other spades were straight, not bent, this one was completey folded over, I haven't the slightest how this is possible. It was my fault at one point in time, I've had the dash completely out of the truck once or twice. She work though. Now time for a cage.

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That is great that you figured out your problem. If you remember I was doing the swap about the same time you started. You will love the 4.0!! I have been driving mine since November problem free and boy is the power an improvement.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals