• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

steering shudder

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just installed upper and lower ball joints and now my steering wheel shudders when I turn it. I cranked the wheel with the truck off and some power steering fluid leaked out so I figured it was that, but I bled it and nothing has really changed. When I have the front wheels off the ground the steering feels fine (truck on or off), but when it's on the ground is where I have problems. I just read a post about someone saying that they had the lower castle nut too tight, but my book said something like 83-103 ft. lbs. I don't know if want to loosen it or if it's my power steering.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
As long as it does not affect your driving, I would leave it for a day or so and see if it gets better.

When you turn the wheel with the motor off our (ford) ps pumps puke fluid. This can lead to air in the lines. Usually after a little driving it works back out.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
its normal....i go through this daily at work. If you have the Torsion BAr set-up and you have the front off the gorund and you turn the wheels at all left to right by physicall grabbing the tire/spindle and turning it with the motor off, will cause this. Sometimes it takes up to 20 miles for it to go away, sometimes it feels like when you make a lane change your tire will fall off or the steering wheel shakes violently. The first time i exp this was about 10 years ago at work and it took me forever to figure out what i did. Just make sure the lugs are tight and just go on a long test drive.

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, thanks guys. I was just worried that I messed up my first ball joint install...Does it make a difference if I have a coil spring set up?

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
on a 98 probably not, its the power steering set-up that causes it, just most commonly felt on the T-Bar set-up after 94

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It just made sense to me that if the wheels were off the ground and everything was turning fine that it must have been the pump. I guess there is a ton more load on it when it's on the ground.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i don't remember the specifics from the TSB i read years ago but it was something in the pump or rack and getting air trapped...........it was years ago i read the details.

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
All is good today, thanks for your replies.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yeup, I've had to explain this to a few customers at work as well

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What actually causes this though?
The steering rack is a little crappy on fords and will push out fluid when steered without assist. Fluid out means air in. Air is compressible, while oil (at reasonable pressures, anyway) is not. Any bubbles in your system will get smashed. When these bubbles pass through the valving, instead of smoothly modulating, the valves flutter due to pressure changes letting the bubbles expand suddenly. The fluttering valves cause the steering to hammer back and forth. The hammering goes away as the bubbles work their way out.

I steer stop-to-stop a few times, then shut down a minute or so, then fire it up and do it again. That generally pushes out most of the air before you have to drive it. The pause is to allow aerated fluid to separate within the reservoir.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The steering rack is a little crappy on fords and will push out fluid when steered without assist. Fluid out means air in. Air is compressible, while oil (at reasonable pressures, anyway) is not. Any bubbles in your system will get smashed. When these bubbles pass through the valving, instead of smoothly modulating, the valves flutter due to pressure changes letting the bubbles expand suddenly. The fluttering valves cause the steering to hammer back and forth. The hammering goes away as the bubbles work their way out.

I steer stop-to-stop a few times, then shut down a minute or so, then fire it up and do it again. That generally pushes out most of the air before you have to drive it. The pause is to allow aerated fluid to separate within the reservoir.
good info :icon_thumby:

northerncountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
same thing here I just replaced my hub assembly and I have a bad shake on my right side I thought I did something wrong but I double checked and all looks right could this be the same thing?

Last edited:

fireguy12117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Glad i saw this. i just did my inner and outter tie rod ends, and seem to have experience the same thing. i was turning the steering for some reason at some point and puked some fluid out of the resevior....after i had everything together, i went for a drive and felt a shudder and though it was just everything settling in, but it hasnt gone away. when i the trucks off the ground and i push and pull the tires (engine off), its fine, when i use the steering weel (engine on) i get a shudder. when the trucks off, everything feels fine, no binding....

is this the same thing as described above?

it does seem like nearly hard over to the right, it is a little tight, compared to all other range of motion...could this be over tighened outter tie rod nuts?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals