• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NO caster/camber adjustment on Ranger??

gdk771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just acquired a 96 Ford Ranger. It was pulling slightly to the right so I took it in to have the alignment checked. After it was aligned, it still pulls to the right so I took it back and had them look at it again. The alignment tech told me there was no way to adjust the caster or camber on this truck. Is this true? It seems rather odd to me these two adjustments are not possible. He did adjust the toe. I looked on each side of the suspension and did not see any sort of location to put shims. My previous cars were old Chevy caprices so I know they had this adjustment but I am new to Ford's and trucks. Do I just have to live with the pull if this is the case?

Thanks

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, they DO have camber/ caster adjustments.

Somebody else could explain it much better than me, but on the top of the TIB's, out by the wheel, there is a large-flat nut looking thing on the top. It is an "eccentric (sp?) and when you turn it, it moves the steering axis/ pivot around in a small circle. You can't adjust camber or caster independantly. When you adjust one, the other one is changed too.

Like I said, I can't explain it very well, but somebody else probably can.

I think the shop is full of crap... I adjusted mine in my driveway...

I have never seen the 2wd TIB's before, but I don't see why Ford would make it adjustable on the 4wd's TTB's, but not the 2wd's.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Some have 0° bushings from factory. I've got a D44 TTB that had them. You will need degreed bushings to correct things. The guy aligning your truck must be a new guy, or take it to a different shop.

gdk771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK, what are TIB's??

You guys are gonna have to be patient with me here. I am totally new to this truck. Does anyone by chance have a picture of this? Once I know what I am talking about I'm gonna go back and demand they adjust this. How do you tell if you have the 0 degree bushings also? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks,
Geoff

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
gdk, if you have a 0o bushing for a d35, Ill trade you a adjustable bushing for it,

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
This is true to a point. The factory bushings only have a single notch which means you cannot rotate them. You will more than likely need to replace them with adjustables, but the allignment tech should know this, or shouldn't be working on your truck. If you have to tell him how to do his job, you should take it somewhere else.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
On a 96 you'll just have to loosen up or remove the pinch bolt on the upper part of the I-beam and use a 1 1/2" (12 point) wrench to turn the camber adjuster.

Note: You will obviously need adjustable bushings. My alignment shop told me it wasn't adjustable either. I had already bought and installed the +/-2 degree bushings, and I just had to explain to him VERY slowly what I had done. Once that was over with, I had perfect camber on each side.

So, just research your stuff and you'll be good to go.

ranger600

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
camber help

On the stock camber adjustment ...can you adjust it by cutting/grinding the tab off

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
While it is possible, it's not the best way to do it, and it may not give you the adjustment you want.

Jschaub2311

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1997 ford ranger camber.

So I'm new to this as well and don't know how to work this site yet so take it easy on me lol. I've got a 97 ford ranger 2wd and I just recently put a 2" coil spacer leveling kit on it and was told when I bought it that it wouldn't throw my camber off......... boy were they wrong lol. So my actual question is, what does it take to get the camber out with that coil spacer installed???? Thanks!!!!!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
First place to start would be drop brackets, if you want to do it right. Camber slugs alone might get you there, or they might not, it depends on how far out you are.

BWDuty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Had the same problem on my 2000 2WD ranger (front coil springs if it matters). You need a camber/caster adjustment bolt kit to replace the stock control arm bolts. Shop wanted about $240 for parts and labor, I picked up the "kits" (nothing but four bolts and nuts/washers) for about $30 and did it myself in less than an hour. Went ahead and switched out my upper control arms (with UBJs included as well of course) at the same time and still over $100 less than they wanted.. Then got it realigned for free with my lifetime alignment. Jokes on them!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals