PDA

View Full Version : anyone broke their fuel pump off?

dieselboy740
04-26-2008, 02:04 AM
Two of our 2.8 truck have done it now wtf...good motor mounts and it all looks ok. I just capped off the hole and ran a electric but this shouldn't happen.

enginepaul
04-26-2008, 02:54 PM
There is no reason for them to break off that I can think of - and I've had lots of cars and trucks.
Is it possible that the bolts are over torqued?

jester77
04-26-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm digging this one out!! Did a search- Mine broke off!!! Truck quit running, DEAD- I push it by hand three blocks back to my house, thinking I had some electrical issue with my duraspark, took the cap off the distributer- lots of corrosion under the coil wire, cleaned confidant that was it- dead. Hmmmm is is getting gas? I yank the fuel line loose, turn it over a couple time and no fuel, hmmmm trace the fuel line....... what is that rod sticking out of my engine and why is my fuel pump sitting on the frame rail??

30 bucks at schucks and now I'm into my second hour of trying patiently to get those damn two bolts started in my block......:shok:

B2 Addict
04-27-2009, 08:12 PM
I broke one off yrs ago in my 84 B2 when I was doing the 1st/reverse maneuver to get unstuck. I broke a motor mount while floored in reverse & it peeled the pump right off. :icon_surprised:

Only happened one time so far in 15 yrs, I can't imagine why it would happen if your motor mounts are good? :icon_confused:

jester77
04-27-2009, 08:32 PM
well, just a word of advice for anyone replacing their fuel pump in the future. Take the extra 25 minutes and pull you airconditioning compressor and mounts loose and lay them over the engine- after that thing is out of the way it gets much easier. Then take the extra 15 minutes to take your oil pressure sender off and the mount and the bottom bolt gets easier. I spent an hour and a half failing to get the bolts started, took the extra 30 minutes pulling a few pieces off and done.

Just friendly advice:icon_twisted:

87Rangerdude
04-29-2009, 06:22 AM
go to parts place buy a fuel regulator (about 50 bucks here), and a mr. gasket fuel pump (40ish here) you wont have any issues with fuel delivery unless you run your battery down. sorry i dont know much about mechanical fuel pumps but it seems simpler just to convert to electric, less complicated and seemingly more effective at delivery (might be wrong)

dangerranger83
04-29-2009, 10:40 AM
I've replaced a pump on a 2.8 liter and it does help to get things out of the way plus have another person helping with the bolts. It only took us an hour to replace it.

85_Ranger4x4
04-29-2009, 10:47 AM
go to parts place buy a fuel regulator (about 50 bucks here), and a mr. gasket fuel pump (40ish here) you wont have any issues with fuel delivery unless you run your battery down. sorry i dont know much about mechanical fuel pumps but it seems simpler just to convert to electric, less complicated and seemingly more effective at delivery (might be wrong)

Mechanical pumps are simpler, you don't have to wire them. Just bolt them on the block and hook up the lines. I put mine on 2 weeks after I got the truck and 9 years later I haven't touched it since.

Eric Kropp
04-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Mine was REAL easy to replace when I had the engine out of the pick-up.....................

Eric