• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Auto to manual hub conversion on a 2007 Ranger

woodfarmer

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I want to convert my 2007 Ranger supercab short box to manual hubs. I am not finding any kits online for that specific year. Will previous years overlap with the '07? I have not checked with the dealer yet, and I have not talked with Warn, but I have checked their website.

I like the good old fashioned get out in the rain and turn the hubs in method, like the one on my '01 Powerstroke.

Thanks

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS!!

You're truck doesn't have hubs, you have a live axle setup. Your front driveline is turning when you are driving whether it's in 4 wheel or not.

If you really, really want manual hubs, you'll have to convert everything to a 98-00 Ranger 4x4 (they had the vacuum hub locks) and then convert that to manuals with the AVM kit. I think you'll only need the hub/bearing assemblies and the axle shafts to do it.

You'll also need wheels with holes in the center....

Last edited:

woodfarmer

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thanks,

That explains why the reviews on those years of Ranger complain about lousy gas mileage. You are pushing all of that extra hardware.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Ford engineers estimate only a 0.3 mpg loss due to the live front axle system.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, advantages would be a slight improvement in mileage and less wear and tear on the front driveline. Not sure if I would do the swap for just those two reasons though.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ford engineers estimate only a 0.3 mpg loss due to the live front axle system.
Bwahahaha, and the extra cost of going to the dealer to replace all those worn out parts...driveshaft, axles, transfer case, etc.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the transfer case doesnt spin in 2wd, just the front cv axles and differential.

its not uncommon to get 100k out of cv axles (much more then most u-joints). and i dont believe ive ever seen a ring and pinion "worn out".

not a bad setup really....eliminates a lot of the weak links in the front axles.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The front driveshaft usually rotates some especially on the freeway with this setup. I see em all the time goin down the road and it's spinning a little, but not like if it was in 4x4. Either way I very much dislike this shortcut method that mfrs are using these days.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well theyve been using this setup in jeeps since the YJ and MJ came out in the early 80s so it isn't really a new thing or something that has just recently started being used. and the old 70s dodge ramchargers used a live axle setup too come to think of it as those are the knuckles I'm gonna be using soon.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
well theyve been using this setup in jeeps since the YJ and MJ came out in the early 80s so it isn't really a new thing or something that has just recently started being used. and the old 70s dodge ramchargers used a live axle setup too come to think of it as those are the knuckles I'm gonna be using soon.
True, but not a GOOD setup...a get you by setup. That setup and usually the axle it's connected to is the first things that hardcore wheelers swap out. FYI, Dodge solid front axle parts are usually wimpier and ever so slightly different than the Ford or Chevy versions.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
As far as I know there is no manual hub kit for 98+ Rangers although I keep hearing rumors.
The 98-00 vacuum setup proved to be troublesome and unreliable which is why Ford dropped it.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
As far as I know there is no manual hub kit for 98+ Rangers although I keep hearing rumors.
The 98-00 vacuum setup proved to be troublesome and unreliable which is why Ford dropped it.
The kit to convert the 98-00 vacuum hubs manuals is available from AVM as well as many other suppliers. After Ford dropped the PVH system in 2001, they went to a live axle set-up on the rangers. This means there is no locking hub to worry about.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm gonna do this to my 2002

But I know not what to purchase. So I need a list of what to buy at the local wrecking yard..
Does anyone here have experience with the change over to locking hubs on a late model front end?
I'm commited to put lockers on my ride. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Big JIm

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals