• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

r/c lift question

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
any of you guys do a 4" lift and definitely need extended brake lines? i seen in the tech section that i can re route mine but i dont know how much lift that works for. also as far as alignment, do i adjust pretty much everything with the camber bushings by the upper ball joint or do i have to change other things?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Definitely? No.

When you install the lift, pull off the calipers and hang them from the frame rail. When you're done installing the lift, including sway bars, springs, and shock absorbers, let the suspension droop all the way and reinstall the caliper that way. If you can't (or if there is little or no slack), you need extended brake lines or a relocation.

If your flex lines are trashed, you might consider extended stainless flex lines regardless of whether you need them.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
cool, thanks how bout the alignment? i wanna get it aligned professionally when i get my new tires but for a week or two i would like to get it somewhat close by myself, did you ever try it?

michowski

Reaction score
I needed extended brake lines on my r/c lift. And definatly get your truck aligned after the lift installed. Before you do make you have it 100% installed first. That way you can just get it aligned and drive. Also you can align it with your tires now and then just swap on your new tires when you get them. That wont change any alignments.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
id like to make the suggestion of going to firestone and getting there lifetime alingment that way if u ever lift the vehicle more in the future just take it back and have them fix it for free

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You might want to consider a 4" drop Pitman arm. The linkage should be nearly horizontal when the vehicle is resting on the tires.

A drop Pitman arm substantially changes the toe angle, so you need to do this before the alignment.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
on my b2, i needed the extra line for sure. as for the alignment, mine was off about 6 degrees of camber on both sides, so ya def go get it aligned.. other than that watch the bolts, i had all the bolts TIGHT, but found three loose so far..

and the rivets are a PITA but it isn't impossible..

happy lifting

High Desert Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a RC 4" lift on my truck and I did not need to get new brake lines. Mine just barely fit at full drop. I plan on eventually relocating my brake line mounts anyways.

After I installed the 4" Dropped Pitman arm it made my truck extremely toed out. This couldn't be corrected completely with an alignment and have a straight steering wheel because ran out of adjustment on the driver's side tie rods. So the toe is correct and I drive down the road with my steering wheel about 1/4 turned to the right.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
HDR, it sounds like that Pitman arm wasn't indexed correctly. If the suspension lift and Pitman drop are the same, that's the only variable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals