• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

okay, an odd one.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
trying not to break anything.. 1995 ford ranger super cab, 3.0liter,4x4, 7.5 rearend, i have 3.73's right now, putting in 4.10's. have 33x10.5 tires. looking to tow pop-up camper (aprox 1000lbs?if that). could it handle it with the 3.73's for a couple of trips? would you even suggest towing with 4.10's and 33's? its a pretty light camper, but the 3.o has a hard enough time. it would still be under the max weight though. any help would be good. thanks!
and i dont need any leverage-tire education, i know what its all about, but i want to know if you think any thing would break, and if my truck can handle it.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ive towed up to 3,000lbs with 31's and 3.73's (same engine as you). i think you'll be alright. just make sure you get the proper drop hitch (you want the tongue of the trailer to be level).

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's not going to break.

It doesn't have to have a hard time at all. When I was pulling with the 3.0 Pathfinder and it's 4800rpm torque peak I went for miles in third gear with the engine screaming. Your truck has the same power as an older 4.0 so it doesn't need to struggle. Just let it spin.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
awesome, thanks... oh i forgot to mention that it is a 5 speed. its rated at like 1200 pounds or some wuss rating like that. is that because of the weak tranny, or did ford not want to replace warranty clutches? the autos suck! ive almost never seen one tow that didnt burn up! thanks again!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
or did ford not want to replace warranty clutches?
bingo.

most auto manufacturers downrate their manuals. too many idiots dont know how to drive a stick and would smoke the clutches out of them.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's not going to break.

It doesn't have to have a hard time at all. When I was pulling with the 3.0 Pathfinder and it's 4800rpm torque peak I went for miles in third gear with the engine screaming. Your truck has the same power as an older 4.0 so it doesn't need to struggle. Just let it spin.
wow, 4800! how much tourqe/horsies does the nissan motor have? is it about equal or less than ford 3.0?

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bingo.

most auto manufacturers downrate their manuals. too many idiots dont know how to drive a stick and would smoke the clutches out of them.
reminds me, i think ive told you guys before, but i work in a chevy toyota bmw dealer(and hate every minute of it)... one time this lady brought in here brand new (at the time) 2006 cobalt ss. said it was making funny noise! they pulled the clutch..... nothing left but the center piece!(splined piece). she said she didnt think you had to fully release the clutch when driving! it only had 400 miles on it! what a tard!

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow, 4800! how much tourqe/horsies does the nissan motor have? is it about equal or less than ford 3.0?
It's a '93 if I didn't mention that. Looking it up I had it turned around a little. It was 153hp @ 4,800 and 180ft# @ 4,000. It was really sucky below about 3,500. It came with 4.63 axles on P235/15 tires--it needed the gears. But after it was moving, as long as you used the gearbox, it was fine. But buzzing 3,000rpm to go 65 in overdrive was bothersome, and it was horrible on gas. You were lucky to get 18. It was pretty indestructible though. it's the truck in this story. it's in the family so I'll probably get it back one of these days. My mom uses it in the winter to visit stranded parrishiners.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
thats pretty compairable to a newer model ford 3.0. 4.63's with 29" tires is insane for a stock vehicle though...must have had a nice low ranger crawl.

i know my 3.0 didnt see below 3,000 RPM very much on our trip through the canadian rockies. its sees 4k on a regular basis just driving around town...so it absolutely needed the revs with all that weight behind it. a lot of 3rd gear and even had to hit second on one grade...but we still managed to average 50 MPH for 5 days without speeding.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dude, cmon. My folks towed a popup with a pt cruiser (5spd) Unless this thing pops up with a full 3 bedroom 2 bath amenities and has a cargo storage compartment for 3 4wheelers I wouldnt even worry about it. 3.73 gears are a good balance between the dragstrip 4:10's and the highway 3.23's. I wouldnt sweat it one bit.

MY BAD WAY OLD POST

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals