• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ABS light on. But test does not work

tomkyle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey here is my story.
First I want to say hello, this isn`t my first profile here my old ones got erased.
My Name is Juhn (everybody just calls me JP) I'm 24 I'm from Germany lived from 2001 to 2002 in Maine USA and got there infected with the Ranger virus ;-) My english is not as good as it used to be but i hope you guys understand everything
in 2003 i bought one in germany (1994 4x2 ext cap)

tomkyle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So here is my problem
My ABS light went on and stayed on until i turned the truck off, then stayed on for some days went off. often came on shortly after i hit bumbs (sensor??) So i wanted to check the sensor i took it out and cleaned it, ordered a knew one which is not here yet ( i have to order everything from the us ranges are here so often on the road like lamborghinis in the us) OK i put the sensor back in shortly after that my abs light is always on. When i start my ranger it stays out for only about 30 sec then on this is know for about 2 weeks so.

On the Weekend i wanted to do the check where you put the key position on run and jump wire the orange and black wire to ground. But i cant find the wire. I jumped wired two conectors which u can see at the pictures. But the Light did not start flashing. What should i do??

tomkyle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok i change my question a lil bit was it the right conector?? or which one should i have used??
Thanks JP :icon_thumby:

tomkyle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no answear:fie:
could anybody please just tell me if i have used the right conector for the test.. :blush:

tomkyle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
DOesn't anybody know if i have used the right connector?? Has it anything to do withmy oriegen?? because i am german?? wasn't that way back in 2003

red_ranger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Tom

I don't know if I can help. I think the ABS test connector is located underneath the dashboard, not under the hood.

However, in my 1997, the ABS issue was not the rear speed sensor. (I replaced it for $15.00). The issue was the brake fluid level sensor in the master cylinder. The sensor didn't work properly, and I was told that I had to get a new (FORD SPEC) master cylinder. Local parts places, including NAPA, did not have the sensor.

To check this sensor, you can use a multi-meter on the active wires that come out of the base of the level sensor. Use a clean screwdriver to push the magnet up and down inside the master cylinder reservior. This should also clear your ABS light, at least for a while.

Rather than spend the big $$ on a new, factory spec master cylinder, I short-circuited the sensor so it would read "full" always, and now the ABS works perfectly. The only danger is that if I get a leak in my brake lines somewhere, the ABS light will not illuminate to give me a warning.

Good luck,

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
hey thanks red ranger:headbang:

you solved my abs light problem! since i did a 4.0l swap in my 91 my abs lights been on.after reading this i went out and played with the float and wire connector on my master cyl and the light went out.:yahoo:the donor harness was a little crusty

woulden't have figured the low level switch to have been the cause:icon_thumby:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
the abs connector has a red cover doesn't it?on the 94 explorers the test connector cover is just like the engine diagnostic cover but red

tomkyle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the answears:icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::yahoo:
I will check that in the next days... and report it here...
I always thought the conector is under the Hood.. no wonder i couldn't make the test
best wishes
TK

tomkyle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tom

I don't know if I can help. I think the ABS test connector is located underneath the dashboard, not under the hood.

However, in my 1997, the ABS issue was not the rear speed sensor. (I replaced it for $15.00). The issue was the brake fluid level sensor in the master cylinder. The sensor didn't work properly, and I was told that I had to get a new (FORD SPEC) master cylinder. Local parts places, including NAPA, did not have the sensor.

To check this sensor, you can use a multi-meter on the active wires that come out of the base of the level sensor. Use a clean screwdriver to push the magnet up and down inside the master cylinder reservior. This should also clear your ABS light, at least for a while.

Rather than spend the big $$ on a new, factory spec master cylinder, I short-circuited the sensor so it would read "full" always, and now the ABS works perfectly. The only danger is that if I get a leak in my brake lines somewhere, the ABS light will not illuminate to give me a warning.

Good luck,
Thanks again... I tryed the tip with moving the sensor unfortunally the light did not turn of. Are you shure that the conecctor is under the dash? i follwed these instruction http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl492d.htm
and it seemed to me that the connector is under the hood , isn't It???
I will search for the red cover next weekend when i am at my truck again (it's not my dayly driver) The ABS sensor in the differential is ordered anyway so i will replace it as soon it's arrives... but if i find out where the connector is the test would probably help me quit a lot....
One more information my ABS light use to turn of for a while when i hit speed bumbs... :icon_confused:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
did you try unplugging the connector on the master cyl and cleaning it?

tomkyle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did you try unplugging the connector on the master cyl and cleaning it?
Nope. i tryed to unplug it but couldn't it was stuck.... There are also 3 cables going into my conector :shok:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
you mean 3 wires?remove the connector,pull out the red plug with a pick and remove the wires one at a time to clean them. then use dielectric grease to seal out moisture.that solved my light issue,i'm not saying thats what is wrong wiht yours just that you should check it

Derek The Great

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 I4
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes the abs light will pop on if the rear brakes are getting worn out. My buddy had a 93 ranger and his abs light popped on for a while, and then he realized his rear brakes were worn out. After he replaced the brake pads the light never came back on. Hope this helps

tomkyle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes the abs light will pop on if the rear brakes are getting worn out. My buddy had a 93 ranger and his abs light popped on for a while, and then he realized his rear brakes were worn out. After he replaced the brake pads the light never came back on. Hope this helps
Thanks for the Tip but my rear brakes are not even 5000 miles old.
This weekend I tryed quit a lot. First i cleaned the conector and filled my brake fluid all the way up(it was actually full i overfilled it) ok both did not change a thing:pissedoff: after taking some fluid out and puting everything back together i changed my Rabs sensor in the Diff (50$:pissedoff:). no diference again. Then
I looked everywhere under my dash for the conector to do the test. But there is only one conector it is red and is for regular diagnostics i think. Does anybody has an idea where the Abs test conector is or could show me on the pics. Like I said before i used this procedure http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl492d.htm

could it be that i do not have the conector i am searching for??

Thanks for yur answears

Best wishes
TomKyle

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals