• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Insulation on Evap Inlet Line?

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm currently doing some work on my '87 B2 2.9L with the right side fenderwell removed, which nicely exposes the long inlet line to the evaporator. It looks like this is the location of the orifice tube. When I run the AC, this line gets cold instantly, and soon starts to drip condensation. It seems to me that given this lines close proximity to the exhaust manifold, and exposure to moist outside air, that it would be better to put some (heat resistant) insulation on the piece. This would prevent heat (cooling) loss, and reduce icing of the line?

Has anyone done this? Any reason not to?

CraigK
P.S. My AC evap inlet line was slightly bent and damaged recently when my coil tower broke in half and the shock mounting bolt went through the fenderweel, but it does NOT appear to have been pierced!

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Image(???) goes with prior post.

CraigK

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
The Freon goes from the compressor as a high pressure gas to the condenser(in front of radiator), From the condenser as a high pressure liquid to the evap, from the evap as a low pressure gas to the compressor. The condenser condenses the freon to liquid by taking heat away from it, the evap adds heat to the freon changing it to a back to a gas. An A/C system basicaly just moves heat from the cab to the outside.

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Nope, CraigK is right. That's the inlet.

Ice is a very good insulator, so if you're forming ice on that and the exhaust manifold isn't melting it, you really aren't going to do any better with insulation.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Nope, CraigK is right. That's the inlet.

Ice is a very good insulator, so if you're forming ice on that and the exhaust manifold isn't melting it, you really aren't going to do any better with insulation.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Yeah, you're right. I got the two mixed up.:bad: I edited my post, but left the part about the Freon path.
If the OP is getting icing, I would suggest checking the Freon. Condensation is norrmal, icing is a symptom of low Freon.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys.

Unfortunately, I "fixed it" already with some pipe insulation and metal tape. (And it's now out of reach behind the fenderwell again.)

I hope I didn't screw anything up. :(

CraigK

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I don't think you screwed anything up. The AC kits I used to put in years ago included a gummy black insulating material for just that purpose.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals