• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'92 2.9 won't start

murf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
'92 2.9 won't start...... GOT IT FIXED!!!!!!

Just got done replacing a busted head on my '92 2.9L 4x4. I had a shop take it apart, cause I thought it was just a head gasket. Couldn't afford what they wanted for the head replacement job, so I just picked up the truck and fixed it myself. (not fun putting it back together when you didn't take it apart!!!)

Now it won't start. I've got spark and fuel. Just not fireing.

Any suggestions????

thanks,

Murf:dntknw::pissedoff:

Last edited:

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Just got done replacing a busted head on my '92 2.9L 4x4. I had a shop take it apart, cause I thought it was just a head gasket. Couldn't afford what they wanted for the head replacement job, so I just picked up the truck and fixed it myself. (not fun putting it back together when you didn't take it apart!!!)

Now it won't start. I've got spark and fuel. Just not fireing.

Any suggestions????

thanks,

Murf:dntknw::pissedoff:
hey murf,i'm not the tech guru,but until someone else responds make sure the distributor is in right,#1 piston at tdc,rotor pointing to #1 pug wire on the cap.just a suggestion.

murf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I think I've got it set that way, but I will check it again. (PITA - not fun to get to or adjust.)

By the way, does anyone know where I can get a 13mm distributer wrench? Tried 3 different parts store, but all they had was 9/16.

Murf.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I think I've got it set that way, but I will check it again. (PITA - not fun to get to or adjust.)

By the way, does anyone know where I can get a 13mm distributer wrench? Tried 3 different parts store, but all they had was 9/16.

Murf.
murf,you might try sears.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic

Murf.
I got to mine with several extentions and swivel/knuckle...maybe i was just fortunate? I will admitt it may work better with a correct socket with swivel/knuckle built in. yes it registers high on the hemroid scale.:temper:

BTW~ I DID try one of the bent distributor wreches from sears...couldn't get it even with that.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got to mine with several extentions and swivel/knuckle...maybe i was just fortunate? I will admitt it may work better with a correct socket with swivel/knuckle built in. yes it registers high on the hemroid scale.:temper:

BTW~ I DID try one of the bent distributor wreches from sears...couldn't get it even with that.
i used a open end 1/2''wrench,i've got long arms and it is a pain,if i had a nickle for everytime i picked the wrench up from under the truck.lol.anyway i grew up in iowa and still have family there,went to school in albia.

murf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have been using a 3/8 drive socket with a swivel and 3 in ext as a handle. Works, but isn't easy. Just use it like a bent wrench (no rachet).

I was in Centerville from '98 till '05 as the Full-time National Guard Supply Sergeant.

thanks,

Murf

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
I use a wrench in from the drivers side, yep it's a pita, but it works..

murf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Fixed!!!!!!

thanks, Skippy, I took your suggestion and rechecked the distributor and sure enough, it was 180 off.

got it positioned properly and it started and ran.

Now all I've got to do, is get it timed and tuned and my daily driver is back. I won't have to take the wife's minivan everywhere.

:clapping::icon_cheers:

Once again, THANKS everybody that gave me suggestions.

Murf

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks, Skippy, I took your suggestion and rechecked the distributor and sure enough, it was 180 off.

got it positioned properly and it started and ran.

Now all I've got to do, is get it timed and tuned and my daily driver is back. I won't have to take the wife's minivan everywhere.

:clapping::icon_cheers:

Once again, THANKS everybody that gave me suggestions.

Murf
fantastic!i found out the hard way,muffler filled with gas and boom!people came out on their porchs to see what happened,kids went flying into the house!it's funny as hell and i'm serious the muffler is mounted on plywood to remind me of something my father taught me in 1970.anyway,glad you are up and running.i recommend the tech library on this site, it has tons of must know info.later.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals