• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

less weight

fisher319

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I am looking to get less weight outa my ranger but have it still look nice what would be my best choice and what is the deal with fiberglass stuff never really used it before. thanks fisher

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have any experience with the fiberglass stuff you see online, but my brother did a fiberglass tub on his early bronco. I think it's heavier than the stock body.

If you want to save weight, composites are the way to go, but you'll want to make your own. It's pretty simple to do, if not time consuming, and you can get lighter and stronger parts out of the process if you design it right.

f_cubed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
If you don't mind the strenght loss or live in a cold climate like 32f or below(brittle as glass), they are lightwieght, but once damaged flake.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Depends on how the panels are built. I've seen some glass fenders that weigh more than stock steel but I've also seen them lighter. My glass hood is about half of what the stock steel one was. My front fenders are about the same but the bed sides are a little lighter. My fiberglass sees all 4 seasons with no problems at all, not too brittle in the cold but it does break a little easier. I've rubbed it off trees and such, it bounces right back to where steel dents. No rust either.

Matt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
wood bottom flatbed and fiberglass bumpers are about the easiest and still looks good. The thing is new vehicles are built to be light as possible for the most part, so its hard to lighten them up more without actually removing stuff.

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Rover 4.0 Aluminum V8 swap
Transmission
Manual
Depends on how the panels are built. I've seen some glass fenders that weigh more than stock steel but I've also seen them lighter. My glass hood is about half of what the stock steel one was. My front fenders are about the same but the bed sides are a little lighter. My fiberglass sees all 4 seasons with no problems at all, not too brittle in the cold but it does break a little easier. I've rubbed it off trees and such, it bounces right back to where steel dents. No rust either.

Matt
I am shocked at how heavy the hood on my '91 feels, especially right after lifting the hood on my wife's '07 'stang which is much bigger. Thought about replacing it with a lighter steel or 'glass unit. Which hood are you running and do you remember how many pounds you saved? I'm trying to build a very light well balanced V8 RCSB Ranger 5 speed with tall gears for a fun gas sipping daily driver.

Thanks,
Mike

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am shocked at how heavy the hood on my '91 feels, especially right after lifting the hood on my wife's '07 'stang which is much bigger. Thought about replacing it with a lighter steel or 'glass unit. Which hood are you running and do you remember how many pounds you saved? I'm trying to build a very light well balanced V8 RCSB Ranger 5 speed with tall gears for a fun gas sipping daily driver.

Thanks,
Mike
Mustang probably has an aluminum hood, and assist shocks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals