• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tough head unit?

Zorro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thinking of replacing my OEM pos head unit.

What are some decent ones out there that won't mind all the dirt and shaking from offroading?

Would be perfect if iPod comptible, or USB port ...

Isn't there an inexpensive receiver somewhere that would read mp3 burned on a DVD (yet don't care about the video)?

Or ... is there a way to plug my iPod without having a full receiver? Just an iPod, whatever amplifier is required and the speakers. I never listen to radio anyways!

Last edited:

nidf88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
get a pioneer, one with a model # that ends in "IB"($130 and up). then get the $30 cable that you can hook an ipod up to. radio controls,displays text, and charges ipod. pioneers sell the best and have the lowest return rate (defective or serviceable) than any other radios i deal with (jvc, sony, kenwood, alpine). no dvd capability on the cheaper pioneers, but some of the more expensive ones have usb. quality dvd capability starts at around $400, but you could get some fleamarket crap like phase linear or jensen for under $100 that play dvd audio. as for your ipod with no radio set up... you could try hooking it up with a 1/8" to rca cable directly to an amp, but it would sound like crap.

Mavrick70004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check out Receivers meant to be put into boats or other Marine stuff, we have a Rockford Fosgate in our boat and it gets jarred up pretty good but still no problems and have had it for a couple years, it has an AUX input that we use for the ipod but I'm sure newer ones have all the ipod control stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals