• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stubborn 2WD spindle won’t break free

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
On this 87 the right side spindle won’t release from the ball joint studs I don’t want to damage the camber adjuster or top ball joint if possible, any recommendations for an easy separation?

And where can one find a camber adjuster just in case?

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Got an air hammer? You can GENTLY hammer on the side of the spindle where the ball joint shank passes through while applying pressure to the joint and shake it out of there.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
You must mean the knuckle. The spindle is the part that sticks out of the knuckle. The way that I get them out is by reefing on the knuckle itself (not on the steering arm) with a big sledge hammer.

The other option is to use a pickle fork but those usually damage the little rubber seals around the balljoints.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah some call the whole unit a spindle on 2WD 4WD they call it the knuckle. Either way it looks like the fork will have to be used to break the taper this sucker won't budge!

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Take a 2x4 and place it against the spindle with the nutts protecting the thread. Get a BFH and beat the poo out of it. Knock it on one side and then the other. Once you break it loose, it will never be hard to remove again. Use some anti-seize to insure this!

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Take a 2x4 and place it against the spindle with the nutts protecting the thread. Get a BFH and beat the poo out of it. Knock it on one side and then the other. Once you break it loose, it will never be hard to remove again. Use some anti-seize to insure this!
Umm, that's the 4WD spindle. He has a 2WD. The knuckle has an integral spindle. And he wants to pop out the balljoints.

And FYI, for a 4WD, just keep a spare set of spindle nuts around and you don't need the 2x4. It works MUCH easier that way.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just came back from the garage, used the pickle fork on the bottom bad joint, it took a bit of persuasion but no problems. The really big problem was the brake pads that I found had slid half way out of the caliper! So I found my thunking, grinding sound! Have to see if the pic came out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals