• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ignition switch in '86

kaborka

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
For the third time, the ignition switch housing has separated, requiring its removal and repair. The thing is held together by four little crimps, and the spring-loaded contacts inside tend to push it apart. I've been repairing it by using a bench vise to bend in the crimps so they hold again. That lasts less than a year. I'm reluctant to buy a replacement, as the available parts all have the same crappy design -- see, e.g. at PartsAmerica

Has anyone found a better quality switch?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
No, but haven't looked. You could clean it all off real good with brake cleaner (leaves no oily residue), re-crimp it, and then coat the joint seam area with a good amount of JB Weld, let sit 24 hours to cure and reinstall. Just don't get any JB Weld in where it shouldn't be and don't use so much that the switch won't fit where it mounts. Regular (not Quick) JB is better because it's stronger. You can sand/machine JB Weld once it is fully cured (24 hours). Good stuff.

kaborka

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That's a good idea! I was thinking of trying to tap some small screwholes in it and try to bolt the thing together, but JB Weld might actually work. I think I have some in my workbench, if it hasn't dried up. Epoxy might work, too -- just encase the whole thing and that sucker just might hold together. There's actually come considerable force from the contact springs driving the switch apart. It's a lousy design (yes, I said that already!)

Thanks, Natedog.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals