• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I Need a new Muffler and Tail Pipe

CaptainStomp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1994 Ranger XLT, with a 4.0 Liter V6 engine with the stock muffler and tail pipe. It's going to be needing replacing soon, due to corrosion, and I was wanted to get the best bang for the buck when I replace it. I was quoted $445.74 for the standard ford replacement and $320.00 for an aftermarket pipe and muffler. I would prefer to replace it with a good quality setup, that's made in the USA but will settle for something made elsewhere, as long as it's not China. I don't care what my truck sounds like, just as long as it's not loud, the quieter the better. I would like something that would boost the efficiency of the engine, yeah I know this usually increases with a less constrictive, noisier exhaust system, just as long as it's not too loud. I've seen prices under 100 and prices ranging up close to 1000. I'd like a setup under 300 but may go for one more expensive if it's worth it. Name brand is not an issue, just quality, efficiency, and as long as it's not made in China.

michowski

Reaction score
What I did was picked up a flowmaster 40 series muffler offline for like 80 shipped. I went to a local muffler shop and had them install the muffler with a new tailpipe so from the new muffler back was all brand new and they did it for like 60 bucks. Took em about 20 minutes of labor and that was that. So in total I spent around 150 and had a new exhaust from the muffler back.

98ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i put a gibson catback on mine and i love it, it sounds awesome, but without being too loud and gave me a little more low end grunt too. i was extremely happy with it.

95XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3L Diesel
Transmission
Automatic
i put a gibson catback on mine and i love it, it sounds awesome, but without being too loud and gave me a little more low end grunt too. i was extremely happy with it.
+1! :icon_thumby:

darkranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used a glasspack,and a stainless resonator tip,and it sounds great! Also total cost with installation at the local shop was $120.00.Not too loud as long as you stay out of it.

CaptainStomp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter V6
Transmission
Automatic
How would all of the above setups, treat someone with a hangover? Would they make your head hurt worst? I drive long trips on the highway a lot and too loud of exhaust systems can get really annoying, that's pretty much what I'm talking about.

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why drink and drive, when you can smoke and fly?

RangerMan64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well when I took my Ranger to the Muffler and Brake shop the cost for everything, including labor, was around $400-450, can't remember.

YZ250Rider23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Go with the factory exhaust if you want quiet. The cheap-o aftermarket (almost all from China), will be louder, and will not last at all. And all of the performance ones that were listed will be louder than you are comfortable with. And plus, 14 years is dang good for an exaust system, get the same setup, and you could have another 14 trouble free years.

whitebassbenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
or just take a hacksaw to the pipe after the cat and take the whole muffler off with the tailpipe and just clamp a new muffler to the pipe with just a turndown after it. worked for me and was about $35 or so.

cheap muffler about $20
45* pipe $5
exhausts clamps $10

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals