• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

remove fuel tank or bed?

SalvagedB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
I'm having trouble smogging my car, and the problem is somewhere somewhere above the fuel tank. Is it easier to pull the fuel tank or to pull the whole bed?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Depends on how much work you want to do. If you want to take the bed off you may need new bolts and clips for the frame, cause you will probably beak the clips and then need to cut the bolt head off. If your tank is full you can suck the gas out of the tank or drive the truck till it is just about out of gas so the tank doesn't weigh that much. It depends on you and what you want to do. Also is the piece you want on top of the tank and under a frame brace and you need to drop the tank anyway.

michowski

Reaction score
I was able to pull my tank off in minutes. Had my impact underneath and took the skidplate off (4 bolts) and then the tank ( I think another 4) and it was ready to drop.

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
It really depends on if you need to drop the tank anyway or not. Even if you do though it's way easier to access everything with the bed off, which is really simple. I had a fuel tank filler neck that had to be replaced and I messed up a couple times. Pulled the bed off a total of 3 times and it really isn't hard. Just 6 bolts in the bed, a tail light harness and 3 small bolts at the fuel neck and it the whole thing lifts right off. Where do you live, how hold is the truck and what condition is the bed hardware in?

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
While your thinking about it, go spray some PbBlaster on the bolts so that if you decide to do it, it will be about 3 times easier.

PbBlaster + Time = Miracles

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
FYI, the bolts and clips are ~$12 a piece from the dealer, not cheap! I broke 3 of the bolts taking my bed off, and the other three were so corroded I did want to use them again. $150 for bolts is not my type of deal, so I got bolts from Menards and made a new clip for the bolt near the gas tank ($10 is much better).

zacknolden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Transmission
Automatic
I need to put a new fuel level sender into my tank, and I think I need to remove the tank to do this. I know all the kits are different, but is it likely to be possible with the body on the chassis?

BobbyB2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Pull off the bed. It's prolly a leak in the filler tube at the clamp on top of the tank. If you have a few xtra bucks, replace the fuel pump while you're at it and you will never have to take off the bed again.

dorman68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Bed Removal

Hello,

I had to replace the fuel pump on my 1992 Ranger. It was much easier to remove the bed than it was to crawl underneath and deal with rust fuel tank mounting bolts. The bed bolts were a little stubborn, after applying heat for a few minutes with a propane torch they were relatively easy to remove. While I had the bed off I noticed the typical rotted fuel filler hose and that my rear shocks were also very rusted, replacing these items were a breeze with the bed off. The bolts were questionable. The dealer ones were expensive. I tried to find if anyone offered a bed bolt kit but I had no success. I ended up cleaning the threads up and treating them with an anti seize compound. I definitely recommend removing the bed. The only draw back is that the bed bolts may seize up and snap. I would like to go back when I get a chance and install new bolts but not from the expensive Ford dealer.:icon_idea:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Once you have the bed reinstalled, coat the exposed bolt threads with white lithium grease (a couple are tricky, but can be reached with a fingertip). That will keep them from rusting, and make it a lot easier if you pull the bed again later.

prls1power

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L ^_^
Transmission
Manual
If found it easier to take my tank off. Then again, I do have a buddy with a hydraulic lift ;missingteeth; I had to replace my whole sending unit because my gas gauge stopped working. I took my tank off in the matter of minutes after emptying it.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Make a tilt bed out of 35 bucks worth of materials and impress your friends.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just did my fuel pump(again, 4mo ago) today. It seems much easier to drop the tank. But I used a lift at work, a tank jack, and air tools.

I was also pondering cutting an access door in my bed floor... ???
Grinder, welder, paint, bed liner???? Maybe if my truck was a beat-up rust bucket of a junker. Yeah.. No. Just a crazy thought after doing it twice.

blkmazda90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I was able to pull my tank off in minutes. Had my impact underneath and took the skidplate off (4 bolts) and then the tank ( I think another 4) and it was ready to drop.
Thats the easy part man. The hardest part is getting that filler hose motherfucker back in place. Im gonna save you some time and tell youi to take the bed off. SO MUCH EASIER

floodz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/5
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thats the easy part man. The hardest part is getting that filler hose motherfucker back in place. Im gonna save you some time and tell youi to take the bed off. SO MUCH EASIER
I agree. I had no trouble getting my tank down and out... the hard part was getting it back in. That filler hose was all messed up and I guess it didnt go in right so now when i fill the tank up all the way, it leaks out of the filler hose. So i really cant get a 100% full tank.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals