• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mazda Axle?

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hey,
I Was Wondering Wat Axles Were In My 93 Mazda B2600, 4X4
No, its not the ranger, And Wats A Good Place To Get Some Lockers For A Guy On A Budget

Thanks,

Jeff

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Still trying to modify that thing?

The best pickup I ever had was a '92 B2600i with an extended cab and the same color as yours. Automatic trans. I had to get rid of it because it was 2wd. I towed my Casita all over with it. Better motor than any Ranger motor except the 4.0. Better tranny than ANY Ranger tranny. It just has a Japanese axle. It's name is probably designated in millimeters. It's probably called the 200 axle or something. It's a banjo deal--all welded housing with a drop-out center. If anyone makes anything for it, Powertrax is where to look.

The thing i really liked about mine was how easy it was to drive. It was like a car--smooth, quick, and got great mileage. No blind spots, no steering wheel bar in the middle of the speedo--all the switches were in instinctive places. I had 2 problems with it--1) the gas tank rusted out. It wasn't expensive to replace. The other was that the rear brake drums froze on and even the cool screws they build in to force them off didn't work. I suffered a lot getting that sorted out.

Small price to pay for such a great vehicle. it really sucked when Mazda branded the Ranger. I could not find one or I would have replaced mine with a 4x4 b2600i. I wanted an auto and an extended cab though.

And lastly, I don't think you should crank it up and put on big tires. junky Rangers are better for that. Rangers aren't well thought out. But they are erector set-like and easy to work on. A Mazda pickup is much smarter, but it's thin in spots and I don't think it will take much of a beating if you put big tires and such on it. A locker is a great idea. But it likes being what it it.

Last edited:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
k thanks for the advice, but i was thinkin on gettin a set of tractor tires like Todd got, i love that truck, theres another truck down the road from my house about 5 houses, it looks MINT and has a bug deflector witch i would like, its a really clean truck, no rust, Red, And Short Box, I Think i might give him a call, i dont think he want is cuz its been parked for about 3 years there, not like nething is wrong wit sittin there, before i had mine it was sittin in a non-heated shed for 5 years, hooked up a fuel pump and sprayed some cleaners and what not in the intake and it went fine, and ur right, those are dandy trucks, comfortable, good handling, and so forth. But yea i like the idea of what Todd got done. . . Tell Me What Ya Think

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The advantage Todd has is dime-a-dozen parts. That's the beauty of old Rangers. There were a half million per model year made compared to maybe 50,000 or less Mazda's. I'm sure the numbers are close to that. Todd can bust an axle with those paddles and have ten back-ups per one of yours. He also has gear availability to allow different sized tires on each end.

A Ranger's not a better truck. But it's a far better truck to modify.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
A Ranger's not a better truck. But it's a far better truck to modify.
:icon_surprised:

Blasphemy!!!!

Actually no. I helped a friend of mine with his pre 94 mazda and I have to agree they are very very well thought out.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
arent they just toyota based trucks, with toyota axles??? i know the body panels and the interior are decidedly toyota, and the bumpers, and all glass...so why wouldnt the rears be

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A quick glance at Napa's online catalog says Toyota and Mazda use different rear wheel bearings. However, Mazda and Nissan show the same rear wheel bearing part number for 1993. Mazda and Nissan don't have Lockright's listed on Richmond's website--though I know Nissan used to. Toyota appears different than Isuzu.

I'm willing to bet a few parts are supplied by the same sources within those Japanese trucks. But I doubt you'll find many parts that are the same. I don't really know. I could know if I wanted by simply researching part numbers all day, but I don't care that much.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
So your sayin if i wanted anything for the rear on my truck i should be able to get it from a 93 nissan?
Thanks,

Jeff

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, but maybe.

I will say that the Nissan pickup and Pathfinder have different axles. The Pathfinder has an awesome axle--it's a bit larger than a 9" Ford, but is a 4 pinion. A dropout like yours. And Lockright used to offer a lunchbox locker for it. It also came with 4.63 gears from the factory--which is what ours has. And it's entirely possibe you could take the front diff unit out as well, which is also larger. The rear is a 5-link and flexes really well. I'm thinking about stripping ours when it goes out of service some day.

Worth looking into. An older Pathfinder is pretty damn tough. Ours is a '93. Look for something in that range maybe.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Any vehicle has problems, but it is usually, the better the vehicle, the less for parts availability. I guess that just makes it that much more fun to modify.

It's weird what parts will switch over from what vehicles. Just learned the other day that the ABS system used on the Taurus is exactly the same as a lamborghini's. Gave me an idea actually. Taurus ABS system, advertised as lambo= mega profit.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do, looking forward to seeing the progress.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
K Thanks For All Your Help Will, Ill Look Around, Im Jus Lookin For A Locker, And Jus The Education,
Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just learned the other day that the ABS system used on the Taurus is exactly the same as a lamborghini's. Gave me an idea actually. Taurus ABS system, advertised as lambo= mega profit.
It's possible it uses the same system without sharing parts. A Ford Cosworth Formula One engine used the EEC-IV fuel management system so you would sell 3.0 engine computers as Formula One parts for the 3.0. And that would be fraud. There may be one or two actual parts that would interchange if they both use a Bosch or Delphi system or something. But the braking requirements between the two vehicles are so fantastically different I would be shocked to see enough similarities between them to sell the Taurus parts as Lambo parts.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The ABS systems are completly the same. Not saying the lines, rotors, calipers, etc are the same, but all the sensors, HCU, ABS module, etc are exactly the same. No difference. My professor has seen the two personally.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals