• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 3.0L INTO 87 2.9L !! OMG Only have 2 weeks to do this

AfFORDing2Karma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 1993
Make / Model
ford ford
Transmission
Automatic
I picked up a 87 2.9L ranger with auto transmission for $200.00 at a blind bid auction. Truck has 85,000 orig. miles, but motor is blown. You could eat off the floor in this truck.
I have a 93 3.0L ranger with manual transmission that I pickup up for scrap weight after speed demon flipped it. It had 40,000 miles on it.

Question is:
Will the 93 3.0 slip right into the 87 2.9 space? Auto Trans must stay cause wife don't drive stick.

Are both same OBD types?

Last edited:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you will need to swap the motor trans, wiring harnes ecu ETC....basically, just the entire drivetrain from the wrecked truck, including the rears, its not alot of fun...

and no, the motor will not bolt to the 2.9's tranny, the 3.0 and 2.9 are from different engine familys, thus different bolt patterns

AfFORDing2Karma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 1993
Make / Model
ford ford
Transmission
Automatic
Dang..........let me go check that vin number again to see if I got the engine type right

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if its a 4.0 then u can go full bore on it, motor ,wiring harness, ecu, either way id still do the rears from the donor truck aswell, as they got lower miles.

i would really suggest runnign the 5spd and teaching the wife to drive a stick because the a4ld is a notoriusly bad transmission

AfFORDing2Karma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 1993
Make / Model
ford ford
Transmission
Automatic
it is a 4.0L but I only have the motor left, the rest went to scrap awhile back.....

So what do I need to find, let me guess everything?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The 2.9 trans will work/bolt to the 4.0 but the 4.0 will chew it up and spit it out. You want at least a 4.0 A4LD but all A4LDs are weak regardless and an M5OD would hold up much better if you teach your wife to drive it (who knows, she may find it fun)... You're going to need the dash, wiring harness and ECM from a 4.0 donor rig.

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I kept my 88 Bronco II's A4LD when I put in the 4.0L engine and haven't had any problems. As long as you don't beat it, and definetly don't decide to pull anything behind it, it will be fine. I drive mine pretty nice which means no off roading or fast acceleration off the line.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals