• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

still ttb jacking after alignment

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Well i got my 94 ranger aligned 2 weeks ago (the one described in my name) and it still has ttb jacking affect to it. Its deff not as bad as before ( just put on a leveling kit bout 3 weeks ago) i got it aligned but the camber goes \--/ (positive?) when going forward, but if i back up just 10 feet it looks to be right. Could my tow still be out causing the jacking affect? Should i just bring it back to see it they can reset the tow, or maybe do i need a very mild drop pitman?
Any help would be well appreciated because even though i would love my bfg A/t's to come a lil earlier than planned:), i realy dont want to waste a set of tires with more than 70% tred left lol

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got pics of the front suspension? You say you leveled it out. How much did you lift the front? H ow do the steering angles look when compared to the TTB angles?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you need a drop pitman arm.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sounds like you need a drop pitman arm.
I was thinkin the same thing.....

The front goes +\ / because when going forward, the angle of the steering is too great, causing the wheels to turn inward, as they are pushing against eachother somewhat, therefore going postive, they level outwhen going in reverse because the geometry of the ttb works like that, had the same prob on my BII, I was able to correct it somewhat by 'loosening' the draglinks so they where 'longer',(making the front side of the tire go outward and the rear of it go inward) but I had still had uneven wear, outside of the tire wore quicker because of + camber

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The fact it's jacking when going forward, and flattening out when reversing generally means the toe is not aligned properly (too much toe-in... the tires try to drive toward each other going forward, and away from each other in reverse).

A simple "leveling" lift shouldn't need a pitman arm though.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If they didn't put the plates under the tires and picked it up under the coils then they did a shit job of aligning it. Big-O did that to mine and gave me a super-secret printed picture of how damn well it was aligned and how bad it was before they messed it up. I took it to Sears after that and when they said they were also going to pick it up under the coils, I decided the sun was too hot and the day was dragging on and I had better just do it myself from then on.

The secret to self alignment it getting the truck setting the way it rides. I pick it up, put jackstands as show in the picture so it's at the same ride height as it is on the tires. Tap the bottom of the jackstands out (a smooth garage floor helps) and you can tell by bouncing the truck when it's settled. Then set the camber. Put the tires back on, drive it around, put it back in the garage straight and set the toe by measuring the tread on the front and back of the tire until it is the same.

I may play with a laser level on the disk to do the toe at some point. Honestly, it's pretty damn far out before you really notice it. If you keep in mind that whatever you do to the coil is magnified out at the tire you may find you added too much leveling. What thickness of spacer did you add?

Attachments

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
The secret to self alignment it getting the truck setting the way it rides. I pick it up, put jackstands as show in the picture so it's at the same ride height as it is on the tires.
depending on the width of the tires and rims that placement woulden't give enough leverage on the ttb to reach ride height.they would have to be rather inset.the only reliable way to align these trucks is to leave the tires on that the truck will be driving around with and DO NOT pick up the front end at all before or during the alignment process.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea i figured the tow (tow/toe?) was to blame. I really wasn't thinking i was going to need a pitman drop arm but it wouldn't have been the end of the world if i did. As for the linkage i might post a pic but its probably only 2"s up from Where it was before the leveling kit. The linkage was actually sagging, or bowing downward if you will, before i did the leveling springs and new shocks. So i guess ill have to bring it by the shop that did it so see if they'll do it complimentary. Ive probly only driven it about 150 miles since the alignment was done so my tires aren't really chewed up yet but you can see the tires are starting to wear more on the outside.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have stock rims and stock rims center the wheel over the bearing. I should have mentioned that.

I've been aligning my truck like this since it was a red '91 Ranger and I have absolute confidence in the method. I've had the same set of rubber on it since 2002, minus the two tires I tore on rocks. If you are running spectacular offset then it will not level it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals