• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Warn 6K Winch Enough For B2?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well I've acquired a 6k Warn winch for free, I've heard you want about 50% more capacity than your vehicle is, my B2 is 4K on average so it seem about right, even though almost all the winches I see are 8k+. I plan on using a snatch block doubling its power to 12K when needed. Will the 6k serve me ok?

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well I've acquired a 6k Warn winch for free, I've heard you want about 50% more capacity than your vehicle is, my B2 is 4K on average so it seem about right, even though almost all the winches I see are 8k+. I plan on using a snatch block doubling its power to 12K when needed. Will the 6k serve me ok?
Although that winch is rated for 6,000#'s, that is only when the cable is spooled all the way out. When you wrap the cable around the drum, it is like putting bigger tires on your truck without changing the gear ratio, you start to loose power. So even though the winch is rated for 6,000#'s, for the first 30 feet of the cable being out, you are only getting maybe 3,500#'s of pull. Free is good, but it sounds more ideal as a trailer winch than for your BII. You can run it if you want, but I have a feeling that with use, you will be looking to upgrade to something bigger.

hick

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yep, with a snatch block it will get you out of most situations u might get into

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Ya a snatch block will be key with a 6000Lb.

As stated above the more wraps on the drum the less the effective pulling power is. I have had to use my snatch block before on my 8000Lb 8274 just do to the fact of how short the pull was and I was stuck good.

The main problem I see with it is the limited use. By having to use the snatch block you cut in half the distance to an objet to pull off. There have been a few instances where I can reach an anchor single line but I need to double line it. Ya I get really stuck some times. Then things get tricky on what to do. And this is with 150’ of cable on the winch. For this matter I carry another 100’ of extra cable. I would guess you have around 100’ to 80’ on yours.

One other thing with a winch is once you have one you try things you wouldn’t have tried before, by yourself at that matter. This can lead to you getting really stuck. And I look back to a few instances of mine and I would have hatted to be where I was with a 6000Lb winch.

It was free so put it on your truck but get a few things to make it a valuable tool on the trail.

Tree strap, snatch block, rigging chain, and some extra cable.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if u had a truck and u hunted, i would say to mount it in the bed of the truck and use it to pull the big elk and what not into the bed so u dont strain a muscle or get hurt or something, thats what i got going on in the bed of my ranger

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You can make a 6K winch work. Just don't get too frisky with it and expect it to be slow. Never wheel alone and you won't have to worry as much about finding anchors. Carry an extension. My only other worry is the cable. You can pull on a 6K load pretty quickly. Probably wour winch will stall before the cable goes but make sure you know what you are doing and weight your cable EVERY TIME. Be careful. The learning curve could cost you everything you have. A winch is probably the second most dangerous piece of recovery equipment you will ever use. Right behind that shinny new HiLift jack!

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input guys. Plus when using a snatch block it doubles the amount of line out so I'd get more pulling power than single line plus the extra capacity from the snatch block. What do you guys recomend for a cable weight, I've seen blankets used, any reason a big steel wieght and a hook wouldn't work, it would be much more manageable.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just throw a big ole car hart jacket on it, thats what i do and it works fine, and i think the hook would slide down teh cable if ur at some sorta incline/ decline,

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
you want something thats not ridgidly attached to the line but will stay on the line with out sliding like a hook would.

A soaking wet blanket would be perfect actually.

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My buddies drilled a hole into two tennis balls. He filled the tennis balls with sand and then closed the hole. He placed the sand filled tennis balls into a long tube sck and sowed closed the end of the sock. It worrks really nice.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You don't want to use anything that will become a potential projectile if the cable breaks. A big steel hook probably isn't a good idea. Blanket, two strap wrapped around the cable, floor mat, sand bags...

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
A free 6000k winch is better than no winch.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals