• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please help. 7.5 drum issues.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
My 1994 Ranger has the 7.5 rear alxle with the small brake package (9 inch drums I believe). I had my truck inspected over Easter and the dealer changed my brake shoes without telling me and charged me $50. Two days later, my master cylinder was almost empty and I was leaking a ton of fluid from the left rear drum. This was my wheel cylinder. I took it back to the garage and told them to fix what the f---ed up and the charged me another $75. A week later, the same thing on the same side. They did not tighten the break line down properly. I had to do this in the rain in an Eat'n Park parking lot. 4 Days later I feel a ton of heat coming off of my left rear tire. Now the spring retainer for the shoe broke. Easy enough, I went and bought the kit to replace all of them. This Friday, the same thing happened. I took it apart today and the shoes were not seated properly and it actually bent one of the shoe retainer pins. I replaced it and put it back together today and it is still bound up. Adjusting the little ratchet wheel at the bottom did nothing. I believe it to be the wheel cylinder. If it is not bleed properly, will it tend to expand when there is no pressure on it?I am so frustrated. I am at college and this is my way to get home. Please help. I have the Chilton manual, if you'd need to reference any parts or details. Thanks!

michowski

Reaction score
First of all make sure everything is put together correctly. Ive seen many people put drum brakes on incorrectly. I can see how to being all the springs and self adjusting cable in there. Make sure it looks like the picture below. I would also take it back and have them fix it. No reason you should be out any money if they replaced everything and now its fucking up.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that looks like a 10 inch brake, but should give you an idea, i thing your chiltons will have a picture too.

michowski

Reaction score
ya thats a 10" drum but the springs all go on the same. The 9" doesnt have the lower silver springs connecting both pads.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I have it put together right, but the adjuster lever spring (the one that connects the forward shoe to the auto adjusting cable) won't seat properly. However, the wheel cylinder still seems to be an issue.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Then it's not put together right. Wiz you shouldn't be messing around with your brakes in the first place and your so called 'dealer' should be reported for their incompetence. Take your truck to a reputable brake shop for an inspection and estimate to repair properly and bring it to the ‘dealer’ and get them to pay.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Then it's not put together right. Wiz you shouldn't be messing around with your brakes in the first place and your so called 'dealer' should be reported for their incompetence. Take your truck to a reputable brake shop for an inspection and estimate to repair properly and bring it to the ‘dealer’ and get them to pay.
he wasnt messing with them, he took the drum off and looked at it. he had someone else do the work. nothing wrong with looking at your brakes!

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I unfortunately dont have that option. I am a math/physics/engineering triple major. I barely have time to do anything. I need my vehicle and the fastest way to do it is myself. I have already reported the incompetence to the dealer the first time I took it back and I got charged again. And I knwo if I can do it, it will be done right and I will know how to do it again.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nothing wrong with wanting to learn! aftermarket stores sell the adjuster kit, with spring, wheel adjuster, and cable for about $10, if you need to replace it? if your going to take it off by yourself for the firsttime, dont be afraid to use your chiltons manual! you will want to buy a spring spoon, to get the springs off, dont use pliers! you will probly bend the springs or hurt your self. if you know how it should go back together, take everything off and start all over. it only takes a few mins. use the opposite brake assembly as a guide! just remember its going to be backwards!

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Let’s put it this way, what shape would you be in if you were in an accident due to failure?
Not to argue the point now it’s more important to get your brakes back together right first.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I agree, but my problem is them not releasing, not them being applied.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I'd also have to drive it to a brake shop and to be quite honest, I dont want to pay anyone another penny to touch these because I am sick of it getting messed up.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
he wasnt messing with them, he took the drum off and looked at it. he had someone else do the work. nothing wrong with looking at your brakes!
What's the matter pillin do you need reading glasses? Read the post first.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'd also have to drive it to a brake shop and to be quite honest, I dont want to pay anyone another penny to touch these because I am sick of it getting messed up.
Never mind that right now, take a close look at your other assembly and use it as a guide.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals