• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone have a shop press?

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've been thinking about getting one for awhile now. Problem is, I don't know which one to get without spending big $$$. I was thinking a 20 Ton would be more than enough for me. I been seriously looking at this one from Northern Tool. Anybody have this one?

Torin 20 Ton Shop Press

Anybody built their own? If so, how did it work out?

I'm really looking for all advice here. I can't seem to find one locally to save on shipping. So I'm either going to have to order one online or build one.

Thanks in advance!

-krug

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Our club, MTU Four Wheelers, have a press much like the one pictured.

It gets used a lot and everytime I have used it its worked great.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
it should be fine you want to press things in not squash them. i have one almost identical and i use a little heat when it won't quite do the trick.also if something slips the parts only fly at mach 1 unlike a high powered unit.

AngloSaxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got one from Northern, just like the one pictured, only yellow/orange and it works great.

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Occasional use, buy it.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 30 ton press. I bought it at an auction minus the bottle jack. I gave $50 for it and it has save me a ton of headaches doing simple jobs that need a press. It beats taking a bearing off with an air hammer.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I picked up a Harbor Freight 12 ton press on sale for $100 when I rebuilt my Bronco II's 7.5 rear end. I figured out the cost was about the same as the cheapest setup labor I could find.

It gets occasional use. It's a bit of a POS (had to square the ram once), but it's adequate for the occasional use I need. 12 tons has been adequate for everything, including FWD bearings, PITA Mitsubishi transmission input bearings, and so on. It's not adequate for daily use.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
ooooohhhhhh aaaaawwwwwwwhhhhhh I want I want........ want one of those and a tubing bender ..... any body build their own bender?

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I picked up one last summer, and I've used it for more wheel bearings, supercharger bearings, ball joints, wheel studs, and a bunch of stuff I'm probably missing. I've got a 12ton press that I picked up locally. I think I payed about $120 for mine.

jubangy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I picked up a 20 ton from homier or something like that for $100 like 2 or 3 years ago. Has worked for everything I needed it for like balljoints, u joints, I even used it for some u joints on a 98 ram that seems to have everythign on it beefed up it took a bit but it popped it out pretty easy. Mine is black can't remember the name though. I don't know what happen to homier they used to have tool shows here like once a year but I haven't seen one advertised in quite awhile.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been thinking about getting one for awhile now.
I'm really looking for all advice here.
-krug
What are you using it for.

For ball joints, u-joints and such, a little c-clamp press is better because it comes with all of the cups you need. They are about $40 from Harbor Freight. I use it a dozen times a year max so I don't want to have to trip over a 20-ton press for the other 353 days.

I've never needed a 20 ton press. But I've never done a gear change or rebuilt a manual tranny. Besides that, I can't think of a use for one. Tell me what I need it for so I have a reason to go buy one too.

Get a welder or a tubing bender. Much more useful.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

For ball joints, u-joints and such, a little c-clamp press is better because it comes with all of the cups you need. They are about $40 from Harbor Freight. I use it a dozen times a year max so I don't want to have to trip over a 20-ton press for the other 353 days.

I've never needed a 20 ton press. But I've never done a gear change or rebuilt a manual tranny. Besides that, I can't think of a use for one. Tell me what I need it for so I have a reason to go buy one too.

Get a welder or a tubing bender. Much more useful.

Probably the thing I'll be using it the most for is a press brake. Northern tool also happens to sell press brakes made to go into the 20 or 40 ton presses. The way they're set up, they bend 90 degrees. To get other degree bends, you just have to stop the bend early by inserting different stop blocks (homemade) into the brake. That and the occasional wheel bearing, ball joint, u-joint, thing that needs smashed, etc. I can't really afford to buy both the press and the brake at the same time and I've got the money saved up for the press but it'll be a little bit before I can get the press brake. I was just wondering what everybody's opinion was about different brands, capacity, etc. I don't want to spend super $$$$ if all I was going to use it for was a press brake.

I've already got a welder and tubing bender. When it comes to making bumper brackets (or other things), a press brake would surely beat having to cut and weld or heat it up and hammer it in the vise. And isn't smashing random things with minimal effort worth it anyways? :)

Thanks for all the replies! I love this place!!

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I cut and weld and design around my limitations. But you seem to know what you need so go for it.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've never needed a 20 ton press. But I've never done a gear change or rebuilt a manual tranny.
You don't need a 20 ton press for either of those. I've done both with a cheap 12 ton.

You can rebuild most manual transmissions with no press at all (a BFH gives you several tons of pressure all by itself), but it IS a convenience for some stuff. There are tricks. Pressing apart is done almost exclusively with bearing splitters and/or BIG pullers. Pressing bushings onto a mainshaft is done with an oven set at 400 deg and an oven mitt (it works GREAT -- you just have to be very fast).

What a press buys you is finesse. It's a lot easier to aim and control a press than a BFH.

And I wholeheartedly agree with the C-frame press. I tried to put a driveshaft into a press once. FN pain. After that, I use a BFH (it's easy enough that I don't want to bother assembling the C-frame press). For balljoints, a BFH is more difficult, so I use a C-frame press for that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals