• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 2.3l coil failure

hancockr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
2002 47,500 miles, 5-speed

I have had problems for over 4 years with difficult starting (2 to 3 seconds or longer cranking), random surging, and occasional misfires. Last week the misfiring grew much worse but stopped after the engine warmed up. Thought I would try plugs first. Did not make it to the weekend however, as 2 of the 4 cylinders completely stopped firing. Fun trying to drive a 4 cyl on 2. Tried plugs (futile effort, of course), then limped it into the dealer. Had I thought more about this and didn't absolutely need the truck to get to work, I might have thought about the coil. Yep. That was it. $500 later and it is running better than it has in 4 years. Hmmm. Starting problem gone too. So is the surging and misfiring. Connection? I would think. Had this truck at dealer in Nov 2002 (at 7,100 miles) and Oct 2003 (at 16,100 miles) for hard starting and in March 2005 (at 25,700 miles) for surging. Hard starting always there, I just gave up asking about it. Dealer never found anything. Now dealer says since truck is over 5 years in service, there is nothing he nor the service rep can do. He also says hard starting and surging problems have nothing to do with the coil. Anyone with thoughts on this? Any TSBs relating to coils for this vintage Ranger they should have consulted? Oh well. Looks like I am probably going to have to eat this one...

Thanks for any suggestions!

RShrimp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993(Gone) 2008
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Wow, $500 for a coil? Ouch! On the up side, they fixed it.
I have heard the same story (went to the dealer , spent $500, truck still broken) with a different ending many more times.

Hey, at least they found the problem and fixed it. Be happy.

I just put a coil pack on my 93 (different deal) and it was $40

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals