• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001+ 2.3 Turbo swap?

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Good luck ... It may be tougher than you think, but if you can get your hands on the components try to get the whole engine.

They have the direct port injection head and stronger bottom ends.

I have been looking in to do this for a while but may end up going the route of putting a kit together myself.

khooper

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I think this would help a lot more as a full kit can be pricey, and while being a great idea the pricey for brand new engines and trannys can be up there and for those on a budjet it would be easier to source our own engine and tranny from a salvage yard or the for sale thread.

I so hope this goes through, possibly check if you could post a second link to this in the Zetec Tuning section or even pit stop? I mean I know we aren't suppost to but this is a hard thread to find for those that dont scroll through everything. I mean I found it just by chance. Any rough estimates on what a kit like this may cost without an engine or tranny?

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Any rough estimates on what a kit like this may cost without an engine or tranny?
This has been a purty busy topic over at RPS. The guys at Focussports.com are actually working on a kit right now. How ever you will be looking at something very similiar to the kit for the Ford Focus. The pricing will be between 3200 - 4000 Grand easily. Yes a bit pricey but they also know what they are doing.

The major down fall to turboing the Duratec in out Rangers is the Connecting rods, pistons , and the intake. You may be will be able to run 5psi max for a while but just like with everything else you will want to go more and push the limits.

So yes a kit would be nice but a reasoabley priced kit with everything from pistons and conecting rods, and then from the turbo manifold to the intake manifold. Get ready to sale your first born and A few weeks of working the street corners to get a down payment on production kit.

Also you can very easily put a kit together for these trucks, The turbo manifold will run you 400 and a decent turbo about 400 some tubing 100 injectors 200 and a programer 500 will get you to the point of being able to run a turbo on the truck.

W04RFR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
There is a kit on e-bay for $500 for a basic kit. At 5 psi how much more HP will this give the truck?

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Probably none. 500 ? Do you have the link ? Because most of the kits on ebay are not for the duratec engine.

And you say it is a basic kit so purty much piping, turbo (most likely a small t3), and a manifold ? You will still need several more parts and something to tune the truck with.

But if you got a link that nught help out.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=025&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=380021956579&rd=1

here is the link although bidding has ended.

Would an 04 steering wheel from a Mustang fit an 04 ranger?

BTW nice drop on the ranger in your avatar
The only prolem with that kit is it is for the older 2.3L LIMA.
The 2001 and newer Rangers all have a 2.3L Duratec, whick is used in the the newer Focus and Mazda 3 and 6.

So as for the kit fitting... Thats a big negative on that.
Your steering wheel question... Wekk I am not sure, but I would imagine that it would.

And thank you for the comment about the truck, I still plan on dropping the truck a few more inchs.

W04RFR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
I asked the seller and he said it would fit an 04 ranger.

I just dropped mine with a DJM kit in the front but not low enough but better than stock.

Thanks,

jay

W04RFR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Is the Duratec engine in the Ranger exactly the same as the Focus internally? The orientation is the only difference?

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Is the Duratec engine in the Ranger exactly the same as the Focus internally? The orientation is the only difference?
Well for the most part YES, the engines are identical, exceptions to the way they are mounted. Also the intakes and exhaust manifolds. But the crank shafts are different as well, I know that the one from the Ranger is a bit stronger and alot of the focus guys use them for their build up.

I asked the seller and he said it would fit an 04 ranger.

I just dropped mine with a DJM kit in the front but not low enough but better than stock.

Thanks,

jay
He may not know what he has then. The 2.3l that kit is for is the sohc lima.

W04RFR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual

buddharacing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FoMoCo
Engine Size
2.8 Liter
Transmission
Manual
i would get an F2T ford probe gt motor and get a 3.0 lx probe bellhousing and mate it up with a 3.0 ranger RWD tranny. that could be done for 500 bucks easy and you have about 200 horses on the F2T with a good boost increase and big downpipe. plus its cheap to upgrade and fairly simple to install the wireing harness and ECU

Danger06Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986/2001
Make / Model
Ford/Mercury
Engine Size
4.0L/351M/2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
Where you finding parts for a 2.2L Turbo? I'm trying toi mod my Mazda but ain't finding anything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals