• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing a ranger with a ranger

haymaker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91'
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am going to be purchasing a 91 ranger ext. cab with the 4.0 and auto trans w/ OD, I currently have an 89 that I want to turn into a dedicated trail rig. I want to know if I would be able to tow that either on some type of car dolly or on a regular trailer. If not what would it take, the 91 ranger has stock gears but I will be bumping up to 4.10's or 4.56 to accomadate some 31's or 33's. I imagine the tranny is the wekest link here.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i towed my budies full size extended cab chev for 1.5 hrs, i have a 2.9 motor 33'' swopers stock 3.73 gears and it handled great,way better than i thought it would, so you will be fine with a 4.0. the tranny should be fine to.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think it's a good idea. On a dolly (not a towbar) you could possibly get it under the weight rating of your truck. I wouldn't raise the CG by lifting it and putting on larger tires. On a real trailer, I don't see how you could make it under the weight rating.

I've towed a B2 with my Ranger with a dolly and with a towbar. It works but just feels too half-assed for a permanent plan.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I assume your 89 is a 2.9? I pulled home a sploder sport (5-7miles) yesterday with my B2, the 2.9 did ok for what it is but it was begging for mercy, I wouldn't want to tow one any further than that,

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ya, but a 4.0 isnt a 2.9.

i flat towed an '86 with my 3.0 for about 50 miles and it did great (other than the '86's poor front end alignment). i wouldnt think twice about doing it again...flat or on a car dolly (dolly being much easier to haul). if this is a dedicated trail rig, i recommend getting a set of smaller tires for towing...this will lower the CG, reduce wear on your good tires, and make the towed truck track better.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
ya, but a 4.0 isnt a 2.9.

i flat towed an '86 with my 3.0 for about 50 miles and it did great (other than the '86's poor front end alignment). i wouldnt think twice about doing it again...flat or on a car dolly (dolly being much easier to haul). if this is a dedicated trail rig, i recommend getting a set of smaller tires for towing...this will lower the CG, reduce wear on your good tires, and make the towed truck track better.
Sorry I mis-read the post, I though he said he wanted to pull the 4.0 rig home with his current 89...

Zorro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That's an A4LD ... you will blow it. I broke mine first while towing 1800lbs max, then another one.
If you want to tow, get a manual or a more recent better transmission.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
I'd be worried about being able to make unexpected stops.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
wouldnt be bad on a car dolly or trailer with brakes. trans is definitely the weakest link. a big ol' honkin trans cooler (something designed for RV's) will be in order....and keep your final gearing down.

Zorro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
wouldnt be bad on a car dolly or trailer with brakes. trans is definitely the weakest link. a big ol' honkin trans cooler (something designed for RV's) will be in order....and keep your final gearing down.
I had an extra cooler. No difference. Blew up just the same.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they all came wiht the "extra" cooler behind the grill.....we mean a cooler like damn near the size of the rad to really keep the fluid cool, not some little dinky 4"x6" cooler like u can buy at advance auto for $10

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they all came wiht the "extra" cooler behind the grill.....we mean a cooler like damn near the size of the rad to really keep the fluid cool, not some little dinky 4"x6" cooler like u can buy at advance auto for $10
those only work as a heater core when your trannys about to burst into flames. you need one, like you said, the size of your radiator, but mounted on your roof!

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's an A4LD ... you will blow it. I broke mine first while towing 1800lbs max, then another one.
If you want to tow, get a manual or a more recent better transmission.
Did you shut OD off?? That will cook a working trany in itself.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
zorro, we understand that you blew your trans doing relitively light work. we also understand that the A4LD isnt the greatest trans in the world. however, there was a point when an A4LD equipped 4.0 ranger was rated to tow almost 6,000lbs, and there is a reason for this: most trucks that dont already have a billion miles on them, are properly equipped for the task at hand, and driven by a skillful driver, can sucessfully tow that much weight...even on a regular basis. yes, sometimes parts do fail prematurely...this is something we have to deal with in the automotive world. did you ever stop to think maybe your truck was the exception, not the rule?

Zorro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What's your point?

My experience is that the A4LD is a POS that will leave you stranded at some point because it's so underbuilt. He can go ahead and experience it for himself, but he said how he would using it, and I'm telling him I'm sure he will end up stranded on the side of the road.

I've only seen dozens of threads and dozens of people going through the swap I'm going through right now, aka A4LD to M5OD. I went through 2 A4LDs before having enough. When it's weak sauce, there's nothing you can do about it. And it's not the exception. There is a revolting amount of A4LDs blowing up "prematurely".

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals