• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2 4.0 Swap Fuel System Questions (Cheapthrill?)

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well long story short I did a transmission swap a few weeks ago and did my clutch too. Put everything back together, clutch wouldn't bleed, replaced master cylinder, no better, turns out the slave went bad as soon as we put it back in, so I replaced it :mad: A week later I have a problem with releasing the clutch too fast when shifting it wont fully engage the clutch unless I release it slowly, though it was check valve in the master or something so replaced that again, no better, turns out it's some problem with my brand-fucking-new slave cylinder (**** you ford and your shitty ass internal slaves), and since I'm planning on a 4.0 and M5OD I said **** it, I'll leave it until I do the swap which I want to do around the beginning of summer and this bad slave makes me really want to get it done. Anyways I was wondering if I can use my stock fuel system with the swap? I plan on using a sploder wiring harness and doing the dash swap (even though I prefer the gen1 dash) and keeping the B2 headlight and tail light pigtails so that part will be easy, just wondering what I need to do for a fuel system.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
my B2 is a 87 (so it was the dual pump set-up) i went to the junkyard and got a Tank, sending unit and Fuel pump from a 90 B2 (89-90 B2s run a single pump that puts oput the same psi as the explorer pumps, not sure on the 88s) . I also grabbed all the fuel lines from the b2 (this eliminated the frame rail pump as well as the charcoal canister looking filter thingy). then just spliced the 90 B2 sending unit wires into the Explorers pigtails. Gas Gauge will work fine (mine does) with this set-up.

I did the same, just spliced the first gen light pigtails into the Ex's harness. I did the same in the rear. Sat down and went through the Ex's diagram and elimanted ALL wires not needed for the rear light harness (lots of extra wires in the two looms) then just ran the wires inside the cab and back to the lamps (my Stock b2 lamp harness ran along the frame rail).

I have had to in the past pull the master cyl off the firewall and turn it upside down and manually bleed it with my hands to get ALL the air out. I have hads lots of RBV master Cyls that trap air cause of the angle the cyl is at bolted in place. WE had to do a clutch on Holshotracers truck late one nite while out of town on a run. We got a Autozone clutch kit and after install we had problems with the clutch not engaging fully. Turns out their was something different with the throw out bearing, we tore it back down, put the orig throw out back on it and put it back together and had NO problems. But he has the M5ORD not the FM.

Side not with the gas tank. The tanks are the same 86-90 (not sure on the carbed trucks) also one can use the explorers sending unit in the b2 tank with a little bending of the float and pick-up.

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, mine has the dual pump setup, wish I would have kept the fuel system from the 89 parts rig I had :temper: Any reason the dual pump setup won't work, I assume it puts out the same pressure as the single?

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i was just looking for a simpler set-up.....less to go wrong....Psi is the same

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
OK thanks. Funny story, was just browsing Craiglist, found a 94 sploder sport with a M5OD thats going out for $400, called my dad and told him and he says "Oh really? I'm looking at it right now!", he said it runs great. So it looks like I'll be getting it tomorrow and I'll have the X to do the engine, dash, and wiring swap. Just need an M5OD now... It appears it was leaky shift rail plugs that caused it's demise...

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
cool score, i mis my old sport.

yep all to common on the M5....mine are siliconed in place

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Cool. I've been finding all kinds of scores lately, a few days ago a guy up the road GAVE us a NICE 87B2 with a blown FM145 (he plowed snow with it and broke 3 trannys doing so, so he gave up on it) and a warn6k winch. So I took the winch and we swapped in a FM145 we had laying around, it's really a nice rig. Man a 4.0 is going to be awesome!

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My '89 B2 has the fuel filter under the driver's seat inside the frame rail--I don't know where your filter is. I disconnected the fuel system from there forward and used the 4.0 lines from the engine to the filter. Snaps right together except the return line has to be spliced. It's low pressure so a couple hose clamps easily do the job.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A 1990 B2 fuel system makes the 4.0L a plug and play. I used an 89 setup and had to splice the fuel line like Will mentioned. Also have to splice the vapour purge line.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
OK thanks for the input guys. Just got it home, I'll post some pics later.

Kylan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so you need an m5od? i've got one and not too far from you. pm me if you wanna work out a deal.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I've been wondering, since the X is wired for one pump and I'm going to be using 2, can I wire both on the same curcuit?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Another question. As I've been pulling the wiring out of the X, I noticed all the wires than go to the engine pass through the passenger side to the computer and also hook to the power ditribution box. Can I just swap the engine harness and install the power distribution box and leave the other harness that doesn't hook to the engine and keep my dash?
EDIT: Nevermind, I guess the engine harness doesn't attacth to the PD box, either way I dont see why it wouldnt work.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals