• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 turbo question

lessthanzero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
anyone ever heard of this company? http://www.ststurbo.com/
Can my 94 ranger with a 4.0 take the boost and how much can it take?

lessthanzero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
could my block take the psi? like 5-7 ish or would it need to be reinforced? Also how would i do that??

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
block will be fine, pistons, probably not.

The fix? put stronger pistons in it.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
5 psi max.. You should be ok with stock internals because most likely you will not always be driving the truck extreamly hard, and always have boost, but for the time yo are in boost you should do just fine on stock internals.

I have actually seen a ranger, on another site, have the same kit on it.

IMO I think it is a little pricey but they have been proven so it is hard to fight with actual numbers.

How many miles are on your engine ?

lessthanzero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
5 psi max.. You should be ok with stock internals because most likely you will not always be driving the truck extreamly hard, and always have boost, but for the time yo are in boost you should do just fine on stock internals.

I have actually seen a ranger, on another site, have the same kit on it.

IMO I think it is a little pricey but they have been proven so it is hard to fight with actual numbers.

How many miles are on your engine ?

It just went over 100,000

bluovaldude

Reaction score
I would take it it easy on the engine but I would suspect that your engine can hold about 5psi, but I would not push it any farther than that.

And even if you wanted to be on the safe spot I would recomend changing out the head gaskets, to some copper ones, and there might even be better ones out there I have just not done major searching on the v6 YET.

But I would not recomend anything more without freshening up the bottom end. Good luck though :icon_thumby:

lessthanzero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"But I would not recomend anything more without freshening up the bottom end. Good luck though "

what would i need to do to do that??

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
crank bearings, rod bearings, wristpins......shit, if ur gonna redo the bottem end, then just save up todo it all at once, all forged shit that way u can handle the boost

jds3403

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you should be fine at 7-8 pounds on stock motor if all your bearings are still within spec.

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You don't need to pay the shit-load they want for that STS kit. Most of their kits run $4-5000; a kit you put together (PROPERLY) will put you in the neighborhood of $2000. Do the research, put together your own kit, and the extra fab time will save you $2000+. STS didn't invent the remote setups, they just brought them onto the mainstream. It's a proven setup. From firsthand experience on my pickup, it works really, really well. I love it.

Your motor should be fine at 6psi. Most of the 4.0L supercharger kits run around 6-7psi. I'd be careful pushing much more than that, though.

lessthanzero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if i wanted to do it my self what size turbo should i use or get?

rocket5979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Most of their kits run $4-5000; a kit you put together (PROPERLY) will put you in the neighborhood of $2000.

The prices you mention are for full kits made for a specific application. The Universal kits are allot cheaper (starting at $1,995 for Stage 1) and come with brand new name brand components. The turbo is also specifically sized for the application versus rigging a turbo from another vehicle to work somewhat decent. The Universal stage 1 kits are a pretty good deal for the person wanting to get great quality items spec'ed for their vehicle in one big package deal. Allot of people find this appealing because they do not have to search around all hell's creation for deals on individual items and they also get STS dealer support. The support offered is usually very critical for allot of people doing a custom remote turbo system for the first time. I cannot speak for all other STS dealers, but I know I support all customers who have purchased the Universal kits from me with second to none service and tech advice regarding their builds. That is a factor that does not come up much but can be invaluable to anyone but the most savvy home turbo system builders. Just a few items to ponder the next time you think about the value of what STS and their dealers have to offer.

Last edited:

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The prices you mention are for full kits made for a specific application. The Universal kits are allot cheaper (starting at $1,995 for Stage 1) and come with brand new name brand components. The turbo is also specifically sized for the application versus rigging a turbo from another vehicle to work somewhat decent. The Universal stage 1 kits are a pretty good deal for the person wanting to get great quality items spec'ed for their vehicle in one big package deal. Allot of people find this appealing because they do not have to search around all hell's creation for deals on individual items and they also get STS dealer support. The support offered is usually very critical for allot of people doing a custom remote turbo system for the first time. I cannot speak for all other STS dealers, but I know I support all customers who have purchased the Universal kits from me with second to none service and tech advice regarding their builds. That is a factor that does not come up much but can be invaluable to anyone but the most savvy home turbo system builders. Just a few items to ponder the next time you think about the value of what STS and their dealers have to offer.
That's good to hear. I read a post from someone on RangerPowersports.com who had TERRIBLE results with the Universal kit on his 3.0L. It sticks in my mind he paid upwards of $4,000 for it and was very displeased with the kit, as well as the support. Perhaps he bought it second-hand.

With the base STS kit, does that include bigger injectors and the works? Or just the basic turbo+essentials kit (no fuel mods)?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals