• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0l clutch conversion questions

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
hey guys! i got all the parts to do the 4.0l clutch swap into my 91 ranger 4x4 with a 2.9l and fm-146.my old clutch shudders when releasing it and isent too hard to spin starting off up hill so i thought i'de do the upgrade to the 10" clutch from a 91 exploder.i have a new 4.0l flywheel,clutch kit and the starter,jumper harness,etc. from the explorer.my question is this-will this work with my fm-146 and block off plate?and does anyone want to share their experiences with this swap into their truck?i had the fm-146 rebuilt before i found out about the clutch swap or i'de have put the big explorer tranny in with a 4.0l clutch last year as its the same length as the mitsu tranny:dntknw:.anyway whatever input you have is appreciated:icon_cheers:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i,ve read all the tech articles on this but would like some input from people who've done the swap

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I did a 4.0L clutch swap with a M5OD Mazda tranny. As far as I know it will also work with an FM146.

As for the spacer plate, I'd use one from a 4.0L beacuse when I did mine I used the 2.9L spacer plate and the hole for the starter was slightly smaller which made it a PITA to install the starter.

It is a good upgrade. I really liked the 4.0L flywheel and clutch with my 2.9L.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the feedback:icon_thumby:. i'de be running the m5od out of my donor exploder also if i'de known about the clutch swap before rebuilding my fm-146.the trans shifter might be in a slightly different spot,otherwise the trannies are the same length and looks like a direct swap.i'll just save it till the 146 craps out again,and swap em.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
got er done!

:icon_welder:sweet -got the 4.0l clutch into my 2.9l truck in an afternoon!tore into it this morning and finished up this afternoon.great holding power with the 2.9l and better clutch feel.except for enlarging the starter hole in the block off plate it was a bolt in upgrade!i used the positive battery cable,starter and starter jumper harness from a 91 explorer.it all fit perfect,i'de recommend this swap to anyone with a 2.9l and 5-speed.thank you for your opinions

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The 2.9L plate works, you just need to trim the hole a little bit to get the starter to work. The 2.9L plate won't work with the M5OD, it will bolt up but it's too small.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals