• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 limited slip?

lifeissomething

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I'm currently in the process of buying a 2003 2.3... Manual transmission, completely base model, just like I 'em. Actually, it was a parts delivery vehicle for an autozone. It's really quite beautiful in a way which I'm sure you guys understand. (None of my art school friends get it, really.)

Anyway, the truck is essentially going to be split purpose. I would buy a 4X4 4.0 but I drive like maybe 1700+ miles a month, and with my plans to move to upstate NY it's actually going to get worse. So, I need the gas millage, but for all other purposes I need a truck that'll get around in the snow, logging roads, etc...

Yet I'm buying a 2wd truck. Funny. Yeah, well, I've been getting everywhere I need to go in a fwd subaru station wagon for a couple years now so I figure...

I'm going to buy a base ranger; I'm going to put some aggressive tires on it and if at all possible I'm going to put limited slip in the rear end.

I'd look up the axle code, but I'm still waiting for the truck, and I'm getting a little antsy. I can't find any aftermarket lsds with the term "2.3" in there with google.

So does this truck have 6-7/8? So would there be no aftermarket lsds for it? So do I have to convert to 7.5... (I'm kind of assuming I might as well anyway.) So with a 7.5.... what's the lsd recommendations you have for me. I'm thinking lock-right....

Money really isn't an issue except for the sake of keeping principle.

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
You would have the 7.5" axle.

I put a Lock-Rite in my 7.5". It was a VERY good upgrade. It drives pretty well on the street, too. Just gotta be careful around sharp curves, giving too much throttle will cause the inside tire to scrub. Other than that, it's almost fail-proof and will increase the performance of your vehicle thoroughly, especially in snow.

Ferris Bueller

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Probably has 3.73 axle ratio. Look in 4x4 magazines for ads for different lockers. ARB air locker, Detroit Elocker, Cable locker are some. Not sure which ones are available for our 2.3 Rangers. Back in February I got 30.93 highway mpg in my 04. Thats with no topper or bedcover on it.

lifeissomething

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lsd is the only way to go in any vehicle. You have an entire driveline put back there. You might as well use both tires you have back there.

Probably has 3.73 axle ratio. Look in 4x4 magazines for ads for different lockers. ARB air locker, Detroit Elocker, Cable locker are some. Not sure which ones are available for our 2.3 Rangers. Back in February I got 30.93 highway mpg in my 04. Thats with no topper or bedcover on it.
Yeah. The truck is already chipped and has been since 400 miles. The guy who was driving the truck had to keep track of the gas he used as well as the mileage. So the truck comes with a little notebook filled with gas mileage math. It's getting about 28-29 average. That's really why I've agreed to buy the truck when it comes up for sale. The mileage it's apparently getting and it runs better/smoother than any other 4-banger ranger I've driven.

...and it doesn't have that weird tendency to keep revs when you put the clutch in like other newer ones I've driven have. That really pisses me off. I like to match the revs. Period. The only reason to slip a clutch is to either go slower than idle, or take off. At least in everyday driving, in a vehicle you drive regularly.

So, what do you guys think the difference in power and mileage would be if I went from 3.73 to say... 4.10?

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
if you do mostly city driving and more stop-and-go, the 4.10's will help with stock tires. OR I'd go with 4.10's if you get a slightly larger than stock tire and still do highway.

otherwise if your doing mostly highway the 3.73 with stock tires will go just fine.

if your going 30-31" tires and still do city driving then your looking at 4.56's (city) or the new 4.30(highway) ratio that recently came out. < might have to go to the 8.8 for those, the 4.30 especially.

You could always do the 8.8 swap to open up your choice of aftermarket differentials too.

The trick to the 4 bangers is to accelerate slowly, I started doing that and my mileage has shot up to just about 30 and at the least very high 20's, and in a few instances even higher. but I also drive slower than most on the highway.

I came across this site, they seem to list just about everything for the 7.5", though I have seen a few gear companies at least claim to make 4.56's for it.
http://www.drivetrain.com/ford7.5.html

Last edited:

RShrimp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993(Gone) 2008
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Yeah. The truck is already chipped and has been since 400 miles.
...and it doesn't have that weird tendency to keep revs when you put the clutch in like other newer ones I've driven have. That really pisses me off. I like to match the revs. Period. The only reason to slip a clutch is to either go slower than idle, or take off. At least in everyday driving, in a vehicle you drive regularly.
You say the truck is chipped and it doesnt keep revs. HMMMMM!!!
I want that! I wonder if it is the chip that fixes the IAC circuit???

Please tell me more.

As far as a lockrite goes.
Couple things to consider. (I have had 2 of these in different vehicles a 96 Chevy with a 350 V8 and a Suzuki Samurai with a 1.3L 4 banger)

1. A locker in the snow is not always a good thing as it can cause you to loose control and "switch ends" more easily.
2. Lock rite is a true locker. It will be locked when driving on the dry road which will cost you gas mileage and increase tire wear.

My experience, The V8 auto loved it but the 4 banger 5spd got noticably slower and used more gas. The lock rite is also quite noisy and clunks and bangs quite a bit, especially with a manual tranny.

Now tell me more about the chip and the properly working IAC control (Idle Air Control)

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hell yea lets hear more bout that AIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
1. A locker in the snow is not always a good thing as it can cause you to loose control and "switch ends" more easily.
+1

a locker can be very hairy in the snow. i would go with a limited slip.

if your getting by with a FWD subby, you'll be surprised how capable a 2wd ranger with decent all-terrain tires and limited slip is. i think it'll be sufficient for the very light off-roading you have planned.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
get a 3.73 L/S axle from an explorer, problem solved. I drove my explorer around spokane for 2 winters and it only needed 4wd to get in and out of my driveway (9% grade) other than that i left it in 2wd.

ckblum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
You don't need to get one out of an explorer, that just costs more (having to flip/perches) and your little truck will never need that strong of an axle unless you are planning on jumping through the desert. Find a 7.5 or 8.8 LS out of a Ranger and it should be plenty strong enough for 31's, they can also be found with 3.73 and 4.10 from the factory. It usually came with the towing packages.

I am basically doing the same thing but I have a 3.0L 2wd. Already taken it up some snowy roads and had to get friends to push me because one wheel started to spin. 4x1 sucks.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
+1

a locker can be very hairy in the snow. i would go with a limited slip.

if your getting by with a FWD subby, you'll be surprised how capable a 2wd ranger with decent all-terrain tires and limited slip is. i think it'll be sufficient for the very light off-roading you have planned.
There is no difference in snow between a LS and a Locker, you're going to spin both tires with an LS in snow anyways.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals