• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

best way to make a front receiver?

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in need of some opinions on the best way to make a front receiver hitch for my '86 ranger. I bought the part where the actual hitch goes in. I just need ideas on how to attach it to the truck. I have a rear hitch for a ranger. should i just copy that as close as i can? or will just a flat peace of 1/2 plate across the frame be strong enough? also i have the stock bumper and don't plan a making anything different. (for this truck at least) and i have a full length brush guard. But to me it would seem stronger to attach it straight to the frame verse the brush guard. and i would like to locate it right below the license plate. So, any suggestions? and thanks in advance for them.

chico4554

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would try to make a bracket that welds in between the frame rails, that should be good enough

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you still have the stock front bumper?

I would try to make something that bolts to the outside of the frame and has the receiver coming out down under the bumper where the airdam would have been, with a crossmember similar to your rear receiver.

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i do have the stock bumper yet. and i would prefer not to weld it to the truck. So the best way to go would be square tubing then? is there a certain length down the frame it should be, so it doesn't get pushed down or up?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals