• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power steering line change

HIPCHIP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 90 Ranger XLT 4X4 with the 4.0L engine. I need to change the power steering lines. I can see three ends, but the forth is running under the PS pump. I assume I have to, but do I need to remove the pump to get to this last hose end or is there some kind of trick that will save me some time?

Just trying to make sure before I pull off everything only to find out I didn't have to.
Thanks,
Dan'o :}
The FNG, especially to Ford.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
No. The one that goes under the pump is just clamped into a nipple that sticks straight down. Don't need to pull it. The fittings on the box are right next to each other.

HIPCHIP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
SO THAT'S WHERE IT GOES!!! This thing has been leaking for awhile, and I've sprayed everything as clean as I can get it, but it's still hard to see where everything goes as everything has discolored. Thanks a BUNCH for the info, this definitely makes it a bunch easier.

The auto mechanics wanted to charge me something like $200-$300 to change this and I bought the lines for like less than $40, just need to get off my rump and change it, but this last line scared me cause I couldn't find where the heck it went.

I owe ya a beer!

Last edited:

HIPCHIP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
While I have you here, I was told that all I had to do was change the lines out and then I was good to go. I've also read that you can get air in the lines. Is there something I'm supposed to do to blead them or what? I figured I could put some fluid in the line before attaching everything up.

Thanks again for the help.
Dan

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just a heads-up, if yours is the same as the one I did recently (97 Ranger). Be VERY CAREFUL removing the old hose from the nipple/fitting on the bottom of the PS pump. I managed to snap the fitting off while prying off the hose with a screwdriver. (CRAP!) The plastic of the hose fitting was paper thin and fragile from age and cold. If you can, remove the clamp completely and cut the hose to make removal easier.

CraigK

HIPCHIP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Just a heads-up, if yours is the same as the one I did recently (97 Ranger). Be VERY CAREFUL removing the old hose from the nipple/fitting on the bottom of the PS pump. I managed to snap the fitting off while prying off the hose with a screwdriver. (CRAP!) The plastic of the hose fitting was paper thin and fragile from age and cold. If you can, remove the clamp completely and cut the hose to make removal easier.

CraigK
Thanks for the info. That's really good advice. Since mine is 18 years old it's probably brittle too.

Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3L
Transmission
Automatic
Those stupid nipples break off all the time. What a pain. Over the years I have managed to save a few "spare" reservoirs. You know....buy a new PS pump with the reservoir and "accidentally" returned the core with no reservoir.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You never know when you are going to need another one.

Dave

CraigK

HIPCHIP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Changed the lines today. Kind of a pain as there's not a lot of room, but still got it done. Glad you folks told me about cutting off the reservoir line as it worked fine that way.
Thanks again for all the info. You guys are AWESOME!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals