• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 2.8 is dead

WhiteTrashDoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
OK, first off, I have an 84 Ranger 4x4 2.8 stick shift and enough lift to easily clear 36's (both body and suspension). I am not sure what all has been done to the vehicle, I bought it from a dealership this way. Anyway, after an unknown number of years, the 2.8 finally crapped the bed. And now I am looking to put something else in it. I have looked around on the internet and can't find another 2.8 for under $1,200. This seems high to me, but I know the 2.8 was only offered in the 83-85 Rangers, 84-86 BIIs, and I believe an 86 minivan. Plus, the 2.8 was always a bit small for turning the 36's. I have been looking for about a year to try and find another in my area for sale with no luck. And now I am running out of time. The place I have it parked is about to be sold, so I need to get it running and legal again before I can bring it home. I only use it primarily for off roading. I need to either swap in something different, which I have always hoped to drop in a 351W. But it is time to do something soon and I have limited funds. Is there anyplace you know of that I can get a cheaper 2.8 or is their another swap that is more feasible that won't break me. I only have about $1500 to spend and don't really want to spend it all on another 2.8 and have it still underpowered. However, if I can get another 2.8 for a few hundred bucks, it may be worth it to just get it up and running again. And I could save for another to something bigger later on down the line when I have more funds. Oh yeah and BTW I am located around Dallas, Texas.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What's exactly wrong with it?

Sounds like it's just no start, or is it mechanical failure?

FWIW, the 2.8L has solid lifters, which need adjustment about every 40K or so.

If it's a fuel or spark problem, chances are, that you'll install a different 2.8L with the same components, only to have the same problem as what you started with.

If the engine is mechanically good, you might start by testing if it's getting spark and if it has fuel in the cylinders and go from there.

No sense in spending $400-$1,500 on a $50 problem. :)

Pete

Last edited:

WhiteTrashDoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
From what I am told, it has seized. My brother ran it out of oil. I haven't looked at it yet though. I am in Florida and it is in Texas.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If money is more important than time, try a junk yard engine. I'd pull the heads anyway, but some people just put them in as they get them.
These engines go for a long time before they need serious work. The heads go first, but if the compression is good (a reputable yard will test for you or while you are there) then maybe just do the valve seals.

Yank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 4x4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you want an engine relatively cheap... go to www.car-part.com. This site links you to all participating junkyards around the U.S. and Canada. Good luck.

Yank

d88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello;If you are still looking for a 2.8 I have a rebiult one 30 over headers and carbed.less than 400 miles. 400.00 bucks. contact me if interested .Im in tennesse. email me @ Dwjones88@AOL.COM

Last edited:

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just poke around a little. When you find them, they are cheap, people can't give them away. I'd never pay more than $300 for a complete, running 2.8L or $500 for a totally rebuilt one with receipts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals