• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air Baggin '98

knux511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Cologne
Transmission
Manual
OK, so i've alwas been a fan of lowered rangers, but it just seems to typical to me to do the normal Djm drop... So i've been looking into air bags, and as im pretty new to this, its all alot of mumbo jumbo to me. I was wondering if anyone had some tips on the basics of what i should get, and if there were any premade kits w/ a 4 link for the ranger... I know they make em for the S10, but i haven't been able to find any...

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know about premed, but i know you can do it on the cheap using air springs from 18 wheelers, in the rear and cutting your leaf springs just behind the axle with enough left to mount the springs and then a track bar. For the front I'm sure you could find an air spring that will fit.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I don't know about premed, but i know you can do it on the cheap using air springs from 18 wheelers, in the rear and cutting your leaf springs just behind the axle with enough left to mount the springs and then a track bar. For the front I'm sure you could find an air spring that will fit.
umm ya...don't do this.

For the front you'll want to get the DJM upper/lower control arms. For all you bag parts I suggest going to www.suicidedoors.com ...they'll have everything you need. You'll need to weld plates to your new controls arms to mount the bags, and trim your frame so the bag doesnt rub inside of the coil pocket. You'll also need to notch your frame so your tie-rods will clear.

For the rear you can go with a 4-link kit from Suicide Doors..KP Components used to have a bolt-on kit, but I can't find it one their website, its possible they no longer make it.

Also copied this from Rangerpowersports...

Front bag mounts---- These will be in the form of some sort of "cups" Some companies use all thread to bolt them in, some don't but all are usually the same. 5 inch diameter tube on top of a round circle bag plate. Somewhere in the 3 inch top and 2 inch bottom range.

Rear bag mounts--- most people fabricate up some nice mounts out of tubing, 1/4 plate, etc... or just buy a universal set... either way you gotta have em.

8 inch + monster notch-- if ya wanna lay frame like the bad boys do you need a rear frame notch-- This can be fabricated, or bought. Usually comes in 8 pieces for around the 50.00 mark plus shipping. Requires welding skills.

2 Link, 3 link, 4 link---- most recommended is a 4 link, b/c of pinion angle changes, geometry etc... This allows the back to get down on the ground. installation of the 3 or 4 link requires removal/relocation of the gas tank unless its a parallel 4 link.

The 98+ trucks have a low hanging trans cross member. This can be replaced by a bolt in unit from 3rdshiftkustoms.com or a custom one from 515 Customs.

Air management system-- bags, valves, air lines, fittings, tank, compressor gauges, and switches. These parts can be bought separately or in a package deal.

Fuel cell-- if you wanna lay out you have to move the fuel tank. This requires the use of a fuel cell with stock pump mounted in it or relocation of the stock tank.

One alternative way to get your truck down is by doing a Z of the front frame rails. This is a lot of work and I have yet to gather good info on this mod.

Some of the parts listed above can be fabricated if you have competent welding and metal working skills, just be sure to use appropriate materials.

Bagging your ride does require some metal working skills (welding cutting etc...), good knowledge of how the suspension works, Plumbing skills for running air lines, and electrical wiring to wire it all up. Oh and it does help to have a friend on hand.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
^^^ Yup that is about right.

Unfortunately KP no longer makes their bolt on kit anymore, but you might get lucky and find someone getting rid of it. I do believe that Air Ride makes a bolt on kit also ad with some minor mods you should be able to get that kit to lay frame.

As far as the front goes I would highly recomend the DJM control arms that will save you on a lot of work, but you can do the bagging with stockers, just excpect to do alot mot work.

Illusivedesignandfabrications.com ( I believe that is his web site) Will have the control arms also.

If you do go the route of a weld in 4 link, either place will have the kit you need.

By all means DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, do or even think about doing the rear setup in this manner.

That my friend is a huge no no.

knux511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Cologne
Transmission
Manual
ok, so how intensive is all of this gunna be? I have a shop that i can use in the nights and on weekends, and i know it is no simple easy job, but if i had all of the parts, would i be theoretically be able to do it in a weekend? This is my daily driver, and currently, my family only has two running vehicles, my ranger and my moms....my dad's splash had a little accident with some snow, ice and a ditch....(rolled it twice).
-As for the frame notching up front, does anyone have any pics? I know how the back will look, due to pics on the net, subscriptions to mini truckin' and the like.... but i can never see anything up front.
-Next up, as for the relocation of the gas tank.... Do i need to just look for a parallel kit then, and i won't need to relocate it?
-Also, for the crossmember, any pics of some custom fabbed ones for a cheaper route?
-And finally, anyone have any opinions for the air management system? I've looked at the autoloc one, and it looks nice, but also expensive. Anyone have any experience with the kit from www.airbagit.com?
-Thanks for the help guys, and for the quick replies, its really nice to get a hand this fast. Currently, I don't plan on doing anything to the truck till i get it paid off (Which is a while on the Mcpayroll) and i'm just looking at parts and looking for deals. Also, I'm hoping to do this as a project with my dad, as he's been torching and welding for about 40 years now...
-Thanks Guys,
-Tim

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is an OLD trick we used to do to farm trucks if we broke a spring and we never had a problem with it, but thinking back on that yeah we should have done something better, mind you we did this to 1/2 and 3/4 tone ''yard'' trucks.

So then all apologies for saying it but i have seen it done and work.

knux511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Cologne
Transmission
Manual
ok, so i looked at the Djm control arms... could i mount the bag right where the spring goes, or do i still need to modify them? any pics of a modified controll arm woud be nice too...

here's the pic that i was looking at
-Thanks

knux511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Cologne
Transmission
Manual
hey, found this on craigslist..... think any of it i could use?
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/610568897.html
and i know that because its set up for an S10, there are some parts that wont work, but as for the rest.... Or should i go for new, for less chance of stuff breaking

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Control arms, they sale bag cups that sit in place of the spring so no moding needed to make them work.

Gas tank, you will not be able to lay frame nor drag the truck as the tank sits below the frame rail in the stock location. You can move it to the bed or modify a fuel cell to work.

The work, well expect a few weeks worth of work as long as you have every things on hand and ready to go in. I spent the last 5 months on my truck, But I did most of the work myself.

I would actually recomend getting another vehicle to drive that way you can dedicate all you time to bagging your Ranger.

As for "Z" ing the front, it is not necasarry unless you are wanting the truck to sit flat on the frame, and in that case you are going to have to get a new tranny crossmember, I am looking at one from 3rdshiftcustoms, but he has not gotten back to me just yet.

To be honest if you are just wanting to bag the truck for a little show and better ride, I would recomend finding the KP 6 link. Try calling the places that used to sale them. I am sure someone has to have them still in stock.

And as for the s-10 stuff, do not bother with buying it, The only thing you would able to use would be the air system and bags. And you are better off buying new on that.

knux511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Cologne
Transmission
Manual
allright, thats what i was figuring too.... thanks for the help man. As for the daily driver, ive been looking at getting something else, but, as ive mentioned before, not alot of jobs for a 17 year old in western wisconsin, unless i wanna work on a farm and pull tits...(milking). I do have a 92 accord, but lets just say, its not worth the 20$ i paid for it. I didnt really plan on doin this anytime soon, but i just wanted some info from you guys online so i could start looking. As for finding the 6 link, i have no idea on who to call... any ideas?
-Thanks guys

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Call up KP components, as they are the manufacturer of it, and then check around on the net for dealers who have sold the kit and give them a call. You should be able to get an answer from some one. And you might even be able to find a shop that can put you a kit together ?

Just keep an eye out and as long as you are not in a rush, keep checking Ebay for something.

turbo0450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah. I have a bagged ranger and was also curious about the Tie rods. I think thats what their called. The front pics would help. The Tie Rods are hitting my frame. I have read some solutions to solve this. Notching the frame would do the trick but is there another way? I am about to tubb the front of it so i need some help. Thanks:icon_welder:

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Yeah. I have a bagged ranger and was also curious about the Tie rods. I think thats what their called. The front pics would help. The Tie Rods are hitting my frame. I have read some solutions to solve this. Notching the frame would do the trick but is there another way? I am about to tubb the front of it so i need some help. Thanks:icon_welder:
I have really only seen them notched, However I have yet to get that far into the front of the truck being that I am not ready to drag the life out of my control arms.

I am only tucking 17s so I am not haveing and major problems yet. I will however once I get my new tranny crossmember.

As far as pictures go let me see it I can find some from another Ranger.

I do believe this was done on an older Ranger (97-older) but the same concepts applies. http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209604

Last edited:

turbo0450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Awsome. That helps me out alot. Yeah I am tucking 20s right now. The only thing stoppin me is my tranny Xmember and those Tie Rods. Im gonna take pics of it when I do it and post em up. Thanks again.

knux511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Cologne
Transmission
Manual
all right, thanks for the help guys. As for finding a shop to custom fab something, i really dont have that kind of money, much less the ability of finding a shop around here to do it, i live about 59 miles aest of minneapolis, and all that anyone around here has are big 4X4's..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals