• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ABS issue, WTF is going on with it

mitch546

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well when i hit the brakes the rear wheels lock right up and i slide. I had abs before and this never happened. Frankly i hate it and want to hit the brakes and slow down not lock the ass end up and slide threw an intersection. Anyone know what could be the problem.

FYI- when it locks up from hittin the the brakes without proper time for stopping distance i hear a clunking sound. Open to opinions

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
sounds like egged drums..ford trucks are notorious for it. have them turned (and might as well throw some new shoes in there while your at it).

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah, mine did that.... it made a wha, wha, wha, sound when i would back up too. it was the drums like he said.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did the problem seem to go away after a while of driving? did the truck seem almost like you were driving with the e-brake on?

mitch546

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sometimes when i go to back up after having the ebrake on it wont let go and you have to go forward and backwards to get start moving. :3gears:
Ill have to get that checked out, would it just be the rear brake drums or front too?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like an URGENT rear brake problem.

If you don't repair brakes yourself, AT LEAST go to a brake shop for the free inspection and find out how bad it is before it gets any worse.

We sure don't want you to have an accident.

You can verify it is just a rear brake problem by using the parking brake at low speed, while holding the release handle.

mitch546

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
:hottubfun: im gonna g et it into the shop soon but i have a pedal e-brake, ill have to try that later tho and see if that could be the problem. I just got it inspected cause i bought it from the states and exported into canada but Canadian tire was the company who had to inspect it :bsflag:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd like to know how it acts after you go to an empty parking lot and repeatedly use the parking brake to slow it down (no need to completely stop). Keep the release handle released while you do it. You should be able to apply increasing amounts of pressure to slow down without lockup. If it locks up really easy, get it looked at ASAP.

Then drive it normally and see if the rear still locks up.

I'm trying to rule out that you simply have a coating of rust on the drums. A lot of Rangers have grabby rear brakes after a rain. Usually goes away after the first couple brake pushes. Yours sounds worse than that.

mitch546

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I checked it out in the driveway today @ lunch. Just rolling at low speed and applied the e-brake, no noise and eventually the truck came to a stop. Even tried in reverse and no noise. :icon_confused:

I wonder if i take it out int he parking lot and do a couple of quick stoppies if it will losen up. It feels like theres no abs working to me but there would have to be or it would lay a strip stopping @ any distance i would think. Im gonna try it and just hope the drums have rust. Gonna get it in tomorrow to the shop

mitch546

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Took the truck in today. Found out the rear pads were a little worn down and could of been sticking together because the truck sat so long without being moved. ABS seemed to be fine although they didnt test it, but looks like ill need new brake pads. Anyone know of a good name of pads to go with not low end but good priced??:dntknw:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wagner, Raybestos, Carquest Gold series, etc.

I'd stick with a good OEM equivalent semi-metallic.

I prefer bonded, not rivetted, but haven't seen any rivetted shoes in years either.

mitch546

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
come to find out the brakes on the rear now are the rivetted kind. i wonder price wise if their more or less than bonded shoes?

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
same.rivited shoes are fine, bonded are good because in extreme wear, it wont gouge the drum, but your brakes should be checked more than every ten years.

mitch546

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i bought shoes and they were not the riveted kind. After futher investigation the brakes were closing and sticking and one was completely siezed so i had to get them replaced. I cant remember the name of them but the shoes needed replacing anyways. All is Well minus the 400.00 for 2 rear tires, alignment/and oil change today :| , vechiles are so expensive

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the shoe was sticking? sure it wasnt the wheel cylinder?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals