• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Welded or Clamped?

VBredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Who's done what after changing their exhaust?

I know with it being welded you wouldn't have to worry about any pipe or muffler falling off but if you weld two pieces of pipe together, you get drips from the weld falling into your pipe, right? Which would defeat the purpose of putting a larger diameter pipe on in the first place. Unless you could fit the pipes into each and weld the overlap on the outside?

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Who's done what after changing their exhaust?

I know with it being welded you wouldn't have to worry about any pipe or muffler falling off but if you weld two pieces of pipe together, you get drips from the weld falling into your pipe, right? Which would defeat the purpose of putting a larger diameter pipe on in the first place. Unless you could fit the pipes into each and weld the overlap on the outside?

Weld it. It will be stronger and less likely to leak. If you get drips from butt welding then the temp is set too high.

pickup

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not exactly sure how the "drips" inside the pipe are going to affect anything, unless, the welding clown doesnt know what hes doing or hes trying to weld the pipe shut. If you get that much inside the pipe, oh boy!

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
any kind of drip inside the pipe can disrupt exhaust flow greatly you would be suprised. even using mandrel bent pipe makes a huge difference in flow. overlapping the pipe will cause it to. and if you do weld make sure to use the correct filler i.e. stainless pipe, stainless filler. and so on.

darkranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you can't weld it yourself have a shop do it,but do get it welded.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
ya clamping an exhaust system ur just askin for problems, i welded mine and no leaks no nothing
if you offroad you wont have to worry about them breakin you might break on or something when u clamp it

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i learned the hard way that clamping sucks. a buddy of mine talked me into clamping the first time around so i could "take it apart" again if needed. the problem was the clamps needed to be tightened down so they wouldnt leak so tight that they mashed the pipes together. and even then it seems like i was under the truck at least once a month sealing up a newly developed leak.

been running with my welded pipe now for something like 2 years and i havnt had to touch it.

VBredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright, cool. Thanks for the input. I'd heard horror stories about running it clamped but I'd also heard from a lot of guys that said they'd had no problems with it that way. In the long run, I'd feel more comfortable with it welded; I guess it's just a matter of finding a setup I like before it actually gets welded. Thanks guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals