• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

looking for new exhaust system

yorkie8971

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i am looking to buy a new complete exhaust system(not header) for my ranger.specs- 1998,2.5ltr, xlt, splash side,short bed.I am looking to just deepen the tone and gain a little power,i dont want anything that sounds really loud!!.ive been looking around on the net and the only 2 systems that sites are bringing up are gibson and magnaflow? are there others that will fit my truck?please provide links if you find others as im not finding anything other than those 2,maybe im not looking in the right places. I will also be buying an air intake kit for performance so any suggestions on that too would be great,k&n seems to be the best up to now.

thanks lee.

yorkie8971

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks,ordered one.

lee.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
dont expect performance gains out of either the exhaust or aftermarket "cold" intake. both the stock systems are more than sufficient for a stock motor.

yorkie8971

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
so wicked sludge what do you recommend to get some more power,im open to ideas,can you suggest a good throttle body to go with the gen11 k&n intake? im thinking throttle body spacer too for extra hp?.any other suggestions would be great that will all tie in and help with the intake and exhaust.

yorkie8971

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
dont expect performance gains out of either the exhaust or aftermarket "cold" intake. both the stock systems are more than sufficient for a stock motor.
what about a good performance camshaft?

lee

yorkie8971

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i just looked at your site and you put both a k&n air intake in and a new exhaust so what was you trying to do replacing those, as you told me there wasnt any point because you wont gain more power?

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dude you have a 4cyl. If you want more power drop in a bigger motor, or turbo the one you have. Lots of guys put exhaust on their trucks just for the sound, nothing more. An aftermarket CAI is a waste of money, especially on a 4cyl. Any power gains that are made by a CAI are at like 5500RPM+, no use on a DD. Don't buy a throttle body space it will do nothing but lighten your wallet.. Save yourself some money..:icon_cheers:

yorkie8971

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Dude you have a 4cyl. If you want more power drop in a bigger motor, or turbo the one you have. Lots of guys put exhaust on their trucks just for the sound, nothing more. An aftermarket CAI is a waste of money, especially on a 4cyl. Any power gains that are made by a CAI are at like 5500RPM+, no use on a DD. Don't buy a throttle body space it will do nothing but lighten your wallet.. Save yourself some money..:icon_cheers:
thanks for replying,yeah i mainly just wanted the exhaust for sound too,i know im not gonna get loads of hp from a 4 cyl.thanks for the info about the throttle i was wondering whether it would be worth it.
by the way do you know of any good turbo conversions for a 2.5 ltr ranger?prices etc?

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for replying,yeah i mainly just wanted the exhaust for sound too,i know im not gonna get loads of hp from a 4 cyl.thanks for the info about the throttle i was wondering whether it would be worth it.
by the way do you know of any good turbo conversions for a 2.5 ltr ranger?prices etc?

Search the tech library, search the internet, wait for more replies from guys who have done the swap, or have more know how. you could also PM guys with turbos in their rides... Hope this helps:icon_cheers:

yorkie8971

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Search the tech library, search the internet, wait for more replies from guys who have done the swap, or have more know how. you could also PM guys with turbos in their rides... Hope this helps:icon_cheers:
ok thanks just difficult to find a guy thats turbo'd a 2.5 ltr

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i put the exhaust on because i like the sound. i replaced my stock paper filter with a drop-in K&N panel filter because it will save me money in the long run due to no longer having to buy paper filters. i did neither mod in hopes of gaining horsepower (and i didnt gain any). your factory intake is already a true cold air intake and none of the aftermarket "cold air" kits will out perform it.

if you want to go turboed...its easiest to swap in a 2.3 (they came turboed from the factory).

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Turbos can be put on any motor though, but I have heard of it more on the 2.3. Didn't the thunderbird have a turbo 2.5 4 cyl??

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
they can be put on any motor...but the 2.3 already has the plumbing, turbo, and electronics for it...makes the whole ordeal MUCH easier.

80's mustangs had a 2.3 turbo option...not sure if they went into the t-birds too.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Changing to a turbo on this truck will not be as simple as an older model truck. Several have/are doing it, but it takes some extra effort/money.

Just because you have a 4cyl doesn't mean it doesn't respond to the same modifications as a larger engine. The amount of gains simply won't be the same. Improve the intake/exhaust flow. Clean up the intake runners and bowls in the head, port match. Mill the head to raise the compression ratio. Change to a different cam. Use a adjustable cam gear and play with the timing. Change the rear gear ratio.

Remember, horsepower is gained with rpm, and you don't want to kill your low end torque in the process or it will be difficult to move out of its tracks. You don't drive around on the street at high rpm.

There is no one or two things you can do, it's a combination of changes. Raising the compression will give you the biggest bang for the buck. Your ass dyno will love that, but, you have to be careful of your ignition timing when you do this. Everything is a trade off, you don't get something for nothing. shady

Last edited:

yorkie8971

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Changing to a turbo on this truck will not be as simple as an older model truck. Several have/are doing it, but it takes some extra effort/money.

Just because you have a 4cyl doesn't mean it doesn't respond to the same modifications as a larger engine. The amount of gains simply won't be the same. Improve the intake/exhaust flow. Clean up the intake runners and bowls in the head, port match. Mill the head to raise the compression ratio. Change to a different cam. Use a adjustable cam gear and play with the timing. Change the rear gear ratio.

Remember, horsepower is gained with rpm, and you don't want to kill your low end torque in the process or it will be difficult to move out of its tracks. You don't drive around on the street at high rpm.

There is no one or two things you can do, it's a combination of changes. Raising the compression will give you the biggest bang for the buck. Your ass dyno will love that, but, you have to be careful of your ignition timing when you do this. Everything is a trade off, you don't get something for nothing. shady
thank you shady,that was the answer i was looking for!!!do you have any ideas about a good performance cam for my truck?ive looked around but im not sure which are good i.e best hp,price.

lee.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals