• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cost of dual exhaust

zebz21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger sup
Transmission
Manual
How much is a decent set-up for a cat back dual exhaust (4.0 supercab) and wheree is a good place to find it?

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your best bet is to go to your local muffler shop and get them to build one for you. It will be what you want and cheaper.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Almost forgot, I got a price to go dual out the side in front of the tire, it was $200 including tips. That was with me giving them a muffler. Thats in Canada though...

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Something to note...

I know people like the look of duals. A 3" single is larger in area than a pair of 2" duals--plus it has much less surface area inside the pipe that the gasses have to scrub along to get out. Considering that area, a 3" single is probably better than a pair of 2.5" duals since it all goes through a single outlet from the cat and you are introducing a bunch of turns and bumps and bruises for the exiting gasses.

The stock exhaust looks and sounds wimpy. But something like a Gibson with a 2.5" or 3" single pipe looks business-like and capable without appearing cheap and excessive. It's a matter of taste really. But adding another pipe that you have to make room for on the other side of the truck...it just doesn't work for me. On an old Mustang--yeah, it fits. A truck that everyone knows has a y-pipe feeding into a single, no. And most of those trucks equipt like that end up with the pipes at weird angles and it doesn't look right--or they are so small it looks like you could snuff the motor with your thimbs over the end. It will look right too.

And one more thing about a real truck--you don't blow exhaust gas straight back because of your trailer.

I would get a Gibson single kit. I know they sound great because I have heard them.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Something to note...

I know people like the look of duals. A 3" single is larger in area than a pair of 2" duals--plus it has much less surface area inside the pipe that the gasses have to scrub along to get out. Considering that area, a 3" single is probably better than a pair of 2.5" duals since it all goes through a single outlet from the cat and you are introducing a bunch of turns and bumps and bruises for the exiting gasses.

The stock exhaust looks and sounds wimpy. But something like a Gibson with a 2.5" or 3" single pipe looks business-like and capable without appearing cheap and excessive. It's a matter of taste really. But adding another pipe that you have to make room for on the other side of the truck...it just doesn't work for me. On an old Mustang--yeah, it fits. A truck that everyone knows has a y-pipe feeding into a single, no. And most of those trucks equipt like that end up with the pipes at weird angles and it doesn't look right--or they are so small it looks like you could snuff the motor with your thimbs over the end. It will look right too.

And one more thing about a real truck--you don't blow exhaust gas straight back because of your trailer.

I would get a Gibson single kit. I know they sound great because I have heard them.

I agree 100%. A single exhaust will help keep some of the low end torque too. And they are cheaper.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a split dual is purely for the look, since they will still sounds AND perform like a single...but they add the weight and complexity of a dual.

true duals, however, cannot be beat for sound and performance..unfortunately, this is not easy to accomplish on our trucks.

it really comes down to taste. both systems have their advantages and disadvantages.

and $200 isnt too bad as long as it includes mendral bends and a high quality pipe (not something that will rot and fall off in a year).

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep that was mandrel bends and stainless pipe. I think stainless is a waste of money, but I asked for the 'high' price.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
in that case it seems like a pretty fair price.

i agree that stainless is over priced. ive been very impressed with how well my aluminized pipe is holding out...even living as close to the coast as i do.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Something to note...

Well put Will. :icon_cheers:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the only single to dual exhaust i will run is the LMC truck exhaust.....

its a completely mandrel bent system, resonated tips and are actually balanced for a ranger.

thats about 200 or so if i recall.....

i just dont see where a larger pipe than the pipe between the cats will gain performance.....iirc the pipe inbetween the cats is 2.5"......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals