• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Round headlight mod

Monty35

Reaction score
Hate to even ask this question as I know it's been brought up many times before, but I can't seem to find it on these new forums.

How hard is the round headlight mod to complete, and how do they compare to the stocker square ones? I'm weighing the options of grabbing the hella upgrade lamps, or converting to round headlights. With winter fast approaching, I'm dreading going through the winter barely able to see the lines on the road without highbeams on, when it rains it's all guesswork. It rains ALOT here in Vancouver in the winter, and I drive to work before sunrise, usually get home after sunset so night visibility is starting to become a factor. What are your opinions on them? Any comparison shots around here for anyone using them?

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I may have an easier solution. Go to Easternbeaver.com and order some wiring harnesses. He makes them for motorcycles but they will work with different stuff and he can make them with the ends you need. These use relays and heavy gauge (14awg) wire to supply better electrical flow with zero voltage drop. The biggest limiting factor in factory headlights is smallish wiring causing voltage drop, especially with high beams on.

Then find some PIAA Extreme white bulbs for all your lights. I used this on my bike and it worked so well I will do it to the truck. The bulbs are kind of expensive (60 for the pair on ebay is the cheapest) but they last forever and the output is amazing.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
These use relays and heavy gauge (14awg) wire to supply better electrical flow with zero voltage drop. The biggest limiting factor in factory headlights is smallish wiring causing voltage drop, especially with high beams on.
14 gauge sounds a bit stockish to me, 12 or even 10 gauge sounds like a better option.

hick

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
14 gauge sounds a bit stockish to me, 12 or even 10 gauge sounds like a better option.

hick
14 awg with a 60/55 watt bulb, both high and low on, has no voltage drop. Anything larger is overkill for a headlamp unless running 90/100w bulbs. But those would melt the pigtail housing (ask me how I know) so you wouldn't benefit at all.

Stock on my 04 is 16awg with a really cheesy relay.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
umm there is a right up out there on the world whide web.....go to broncoii-ranger.com i think it is....look up joelh...he is the forum owner...he can hook you up.hopefuly...the dude stil owes me some damn arms....hehe....he is cool shit so i think he can hook you up

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
LMC truck also offers the headlight and harness upgrade... and i think its a little more reasonably priced.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused: :not_i:

When did this come about?
well i know that he is on main dude on that forum and he did round head lights like the one in your.....oh wow damn i am havin my blond moment:icon_rofl:....ok nm shut up over here:icon_twisted:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals