• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd 'Stock' Race Truck

skimmer

Reaction score
Engine Size
2.3l SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Hey people...gonna race a 2wd Ranger in an Offroad division where i'm limited to stock i-beams and mounting points but have freedom in spring rates and multiple shocks per corner. I was told to use jeep coils in the front for lift and are a better 'rate'. What is the stock travel front and back? What springs should i run front and back? Are there anyways to extend travel without changing mounting points? I'm gonna build a 2wd 2.3l SOHC/manual trans/8.8 rear regular cab short box (Maybe an extended cab short box). This is short course racing (jumps/lefts/rights) with an endurance race mid season through 10 mile wooded course.
Give me your ideas plz.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
The Jeep coils are for twistier suspensions, as they are really soft. I'd imagine you'd bottom out after almost every jump with them.

I think the Early Bronco coils work as for being softer without being too soft, they're somwehere between the stock and Jeep spring rates. but really, if your jumping it I'd stay closer to the stock spring rate.

Is they're anything online that says stuff about the class your in? kinda sounds fun

skimmer

Reaction score
Engine Size
2.3l SOHC
Transmission
Manual
ooraonline.com

skimmer

Reaction score
Engine Size
2.3l SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Thanx dude.
Will the early bronco springs give me a little lift?

What travel will i have stock?

Tricks for the rear?

Are there anyways to extend travel without changing mounting points?

I can't run coil-overs...damn!!

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
deaver springs makes some good leaf springs for the back of rangers if you can flip the rear shackle...not sure if that would be "bending the rules" a bit far or not for you.

Autofab.com I belive has a rear spring set up that keeps the shackles like ford put them out.

both companys put out a good rear set of springs that help keep the rear end from bucking all over the place.

big part of it will be shocks, and valving too

I dont see any where is says you cant run rear shocks threw the bed on some hoops. run some good "race" shocks..kings ,saws,foa's etc.

for the front not much you can do with the rules. I would suggest running a set of forged beams vs the cast beams.stronger, lighter,and will bend instead of shear if you have a ohh shit moment.

depending on how hard you guy's run you may want to plate the beams also.
I would also plate on the radius arm ears also.

if your running like a corr truck youll want a higher spring rate than the jeep springs. totally diffrent spring rate to be honset.

shocks and a coil spring's with the right rate are going to make a big diffrence on a stock class trucks."lift" coil springs are going to be a hit and miss play with them kind of thing,if you want to try with them.

a bypass shock with the last tube closed off to work as a bumpstop could work

biggest hurtle is going to be getting some decent size tires under it that will clear under full bump with the wheels turned.cause you only going to be able to get abotu 2inches of hieght with out getting the camber and caster out of wack.....I see you can move the cab back,and you could tub the front firewall to clear some tires.31,32 or some 10.50 33's maybe.

wheel base, reg cab short vs extra cab is a driver prefence really.the reg cab short, its quick and nimble but like to "dance" vs the extra cab, will be a little more lazy but more stable.

FOA shocks are good shocks for the price, any other 2.5inch race shock, I say pick what brand you use by what kind of price you can get.

forget about the white body "lifted" shocks. procomps, ranchos, etc. they will fade quick, and you cant valve rebuild them anyhow.

28 spline 8.8's I would put a tight posi in rather than a locker or spool.less chance of breaking/striping a axle shaft. lets some of the shock of loading and unloading disapate threw the clutches/spiders.

skimmer

Reaction score
Engine Size
2.3l SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Thanx for the info. This is the stuff i need to know.

What year rangers had the forged beams?

The truck is gonna be caged and fenders/boxsides will be 'skin' so i'll be able to make custom upper shock mounts front and back.
Was originally gonna run a chev and have years of experience with them...now it's ford time, so all the help i can get is greatly appreciated. I think this will be a blast to race...ex dragracer/solo racer playin in the dirt!!!

Canyon...tried to pm you...ur box is full...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals