• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Automatic to Stick

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys,

I have no reason to do this right now, as my automatic is fine. However I am at 120K miles. I would like the truck to get me till 180-200k but I dont think the transmission will hold. The engine and rest of the truck is in great shape. But just out of curiosity, if and when my automatic goes out, how hard would it be to replace it with a M5OD-R1? Is if financially worth it to go through the trouble of finding a rebuilt M5OD-R1 vs 5R55E? Also would anything need to be modified on my current truck with the exception of adding another peddle?

BTW i have a 97 ranger 4.0. It has the 5R55E in it now. My truck is also 4wd with an electric t-case.

I am assuming this would be a pretty easy swap especially for a transmission shop to do since it would be a direct switch out of a vehicle 92-00 correct?

Thanks alot,
Keith

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The PCMs are different, so they would have to be swapped out too. Your best bet would be to buy a donor vehicle....

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The PCMs are different, so they would have to be swapped out too. Your best bet would be to buy a donor vehicle....
Why, if he's going to stick it would prolly be ok...just not going from stick to auto trans. It would prolly be better to have the correct one though from a performance point of view.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
An uncorrected auto computer in a vehicle with a stick will continuously light the check engine light as it tries to energize a torque converter clutch solenoid that isn't there.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
But it works fine. Mine's like that.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It may "work," but now you have no diagnostics to warn you of emissions problems. At least until it gets bad enough to cause performance issues and/or plug the cat.

ZSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
An uncorrected auto computer in a vehicle with a stick will continuously light the check engine light as it tries to energize a torque converter clutch solenoid that isn't there.
So why not give it one? Is it possible to "trick" the computer into thinking the converter is locked up by energizing a solenoid and using the sensor?

I know that getting the correct computer would be better but it's just a though.:icon_confused:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
State inspections that check for OBD codes will be a real problem!! The PCM checks many other things in an auto tranny, beside the TC.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So basically I would want to replace it with just another 5R55E then. Like I said the transmission shifts fine and while 120k isnt that many miles, I tend to do more around town driving so that puts more strain on everything. I hope if I baby it enough it will hold solid for a few more years so I can purchase a new truck after I graduate :) Also does anyone have an idea of roughly what the cost would be to do the swap? Please factor in a new computer also because I dont like doing shady shortcuts.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If the transmission is fine, there is no reason to think it's ready to die.

Transmissions simply do not have fixed lifetimes.

I think this is one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" moments.

WHEN your transmission takes a dump, THEN you go about changing it. Who knows, it might be 10 years....

As for fooling the computer electrically, it has to be possible and may be considerably simpler (e.g., jumpering a switch), but electrical modifications especially involving the PCM can be dangerous for those who aren't skilled in it. It's VERY easy to fry a brand new PCM if you short a power transistor to ground.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks MAKG. I realize that trannys dont have a certain lifetime to them, but I am worried about the reliability of the transmission in the next few years to come, particularly because I will have no money. I also prefer a stick shift so that is why I was asking the question. I look forward to keeping this transmission healthy and strong.

On a side note, is there anything you reccomend to do to help the tranny live a longer life? It is all stock right now so I do not have a transmission cooler. I do little towing but it is all around town driving with summer temps in the 90s ususally in Sacramento. Does turning the OD going up steep hills such as the mountains help keep temps down? When I have a load does it help to shift the tranny 1,2,D myself or is better to just leave it in D with OD off?

I change my fluid/filter regularly about 40k miles.

Is an tranny flush worth it? I have 120k and have never done it while I have owned the truck since 55K.

I just run Mercon ATF, what about Lucas Tranny treatment? Is this good to put in or just a waste of money?

Thanks for your help,
Keith

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Don't use OD around town or up steep hills Leave it in Drive, shifting manually is not necessary. 90s in summer....more like 100s here in Sacto.... :) 90s is a good summer day here...lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals