PDA

View Full Version : machine shops head job ? $

BWOLIVER
03-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Just got a call fro my local machine shop with a price of $410 for checking the heads, new valve seals, hot tank, and removing a broken bolt from the intake manifold. Is this about right or or am I getting screwed?

skippy
03-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Just got a call fro my local machine shop with a price of $410 for checking the heads, new valve seals, hot tank, and removing a broken bolt from the intake manifold. Is this about right or or am I getting screwed?

get another estimate or two,sounds high to me.

skippy
03-25-2008, 09:33 PM
get another estimate or two,sounds high to me.

does the price include valve job,guides and new springs?

BWOLIVER
03-25-2008, 09:36 PM
no it doesn't, thats why it sounded kinda high to me also, but I haven't had to due any machine shop stuff for 10 yrs.

BWOLIVER
03-25-2008, 09:38 PM
There are only 2 shops in the area that I know of and this guy has a great rep. with the hot rodders etc... I suppose I could be paying for the rep.

skippy
03-25-2008, 09:38 PM
i haven't either,we need some of the other members to chime in.sounds high to me.

Hardwareman
03-25-2008, 09:45 PM
I can get a head completely rebuilt for that around me.

Allen

enginepaul
03-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Just went to e-bay and a guy has a single head for $200.00
Mine were done by a wholesale shop - a head shop that services parts stores and some engine shops- for $189.00 a couple years ago.
Some shops confuse these heads with the 2.9 that had a lot of failures, so the estimate high.
For that price you should be getting new guides, valves and springs too. I'd get on the phone and check some more.

JoshT
03-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Well my machinist (he also builds engines, not just machine work) said my most of my valves and springs were good. Those that weren't I replaced with spares (good spares according to the afore mentioned machinist) from a spare set of heads I had picked up to get rebuilt before I found one was cracked. I had my heads cleaned, checked, new stem seals installed, and valve job done for probably 200-250 total. I can't find my receipt for the work to get you an exact price, and not sure I want to go looking through that pile of receipts again. Now as for the machine work on the block, can you say ouch? I think total it cost me a little over 800 for my machine work on this motor.

michowski
03-26-2008, 07:37 PM
You can buy new heads completly done with new valves, seats, springs, the work for that price. I got 2 new heads off ebay for about 400 shipped. They even paid for the core shipping.

BWOLIVER
03-27-2008, 02:37 PM
thanks everyone for your responses, talked to the machinist and got a discount $395 including head set and cleaning up my intake including removal of broken bolt and heli coil. of course I still feel a little cheated, but need to get the rig on the road. just won't use them for anything else in the future.

ammocj
03-29-2008, 12:53 PM
I was quoted higher than that with all new valves and complete engine gasket kit.
I'm home so seldom that I'm going to have em do it just so I can reassemble it when I finally do get a chance.
I was going to strip my other heads off the block to see if I could save a few bucks but that would put me a month back on getting it on the road.
I figure I'll strip my other motor after this ones running and rebuild the bottom end, shop for a 4 barrel intake, then just swap these heads onto that, but that's probably 2 years down the road at this rate.
Al