• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

want a nitro rc, Good starter rc?

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looking for a used RC on CL, What should i look for? not looking to spend a ton, like 200ish. 4x4 would be nice.

mercurymullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mercury
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Unless you really want a nitro the electric class has some good opitons. You could spend a little more and save it back on the maintenance and operating costs. Don't know a ton about them, I just bought my dad one. My friend races them and helped in the right direction. He said 4x4 electric. I went losi, they have more metal parts in them. My brother went cheaper and got a traxxis (I think, maybe team associated) and he has broke alot of stuff, and they always drive them together on the same track they built.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have one of their maxstone RC 1/10th scale crawlers. paid $150 for it i think, i've probably put $100 into it upgrading stuff. it does pretty good for being a cheapier. the only thing i ever broke on it, was one of the driveshafts. bought some metal ones for $30 and havent had a problem since. i havent driven it since last august though, dont really have a good place to go since we still live in an apartment

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Last edited:

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i don't really want a buggy, i want a truck. and i'm not unconfident in rc's, i've drove a bunch of my buddies rc's. i don't want an electric because...just because :)

less of starter rc, but whats a solid cheaper rc. got like 380 back from taxes so i might be able to do like 300. would any of the 3.3 traxxas/ HPI trucks be good?

bretsparks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
coming from a true rc person,,,I have 3 team associated 1/10 scale RC10 2 nitro one electric...all though you can make the electric scream, It is nice to refuel and keep on running, to jayramer look for an hpi savage...virtually bullet proof. a few aluminum upgrades and it will take a 30 ft drop! we jumped mine over 2 mini vans length wise and landed it successfully! mine still screams it is a savage 25 and they are up to the savage 30...it has remained the same setup since the savage 15 came out years ago.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
coming from a true rc person,,,I have 3 team associated 1/10 scale RC10 2 nitro one electric...all though you can make the electric scream, It is nice to refuel and keep on running, to jayramer look for an hpi savage...virtually bullet proof. a few aluminum upgrades and it will take a 30 ft drop! we jumped mine over 2 mini vans length wise and landed it successfully! mine still screams it is a savage 25 and they are up to the savage 30...it has remained the same setup since the savage 15 came out years ago.
yeah i don't like having to change batteries/ have to charge them...

what do you think? http://flint.craigslist.org/tag/3743217453.html

mercurymullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mercury
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alot of guys here run the HPIs with good luck. Most nitros I have seen have been the buggy/truggy vehicles. They do haul ass, the drivers have a blast with them and I would never try to change someones mind. The guys around here are always tuning them just because we are so close to the coast.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
my brother and i used to have a gas car. that thing was so damn fast. i couldnt even control it lol. had to drive it in abandoned parking lots

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
for a starter you would be better of electric in all honesty unless you are somewhat knowledgable in tuning. i had a gas truggy for a while and it was just a ton easier buying multiple batteries and keeping them charged. i run a 4x4 traxxas slash and a 2wd slash both brushless and running lipo batteries. they are both much faster and more reliable than my gas one was. the gas just kept needing tuned every time i ran it and half the time it would warm up and need tuned again. thats why i went the brushless electric route.
now to answer the question: you cant really go wrong with any of the name brands (ie traxxas, losi, hpi, or team associated). they all have strengths and weaknesses. just drive it and repair it as you go

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals