• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Aluminized or stainless steel

strokedranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I am getting a custom exhaust system installed soon and i was wondering what everyone thought about aluminized or stainless steel pipes. The guy who's installing it said that stainless is just a waste of money becuz even though it wont rust out, he said that the welds will rust and that the rest (cat 4word) isnt stainless so its not really worth it. But if i were going to get headers later on and redo the cats whats my better choice, aluminized or stainless?

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
save $$ or have something that will last, thats pretty much what it boils down to. if the welds were to rust... get it rewelded. i have been in love with stainless since i changed the fuel pump on my wifes explorer (stainless lines!) not a spec of rust on em. that comes in handy when working on a 12 year old suv!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
stainless is a waste of money.

ive had aluminized on mine for 2 years (im in the pacific northwest, live about 1/2 mile from the beach, and drive on the beach all the time), and the exhaust still hasnt developed any surface rust.

strokedranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
wicked is always giving me good info. thanks man!

sonicboom919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 FFV - Vulcan!
Transmission
Manual
I have aluminized piping and have had no problems. You'll be just fine with aluminized pipe.

nightmare

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
i disagree the alum is good but i live by the ocean and go four wheelen a lot but my exhaust just rust up and falls a part and its made by flow master so i would say go with stainless so you don't have to worry about it

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I've run an aluminized cat back system by Gibson for the last 2 years with no rust. It's been out in the mud and to the beach plenty of times and still looks great. It doesn't look as good as stainless but then again who's going to be checking out your muffler on a regular basis?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got an exhaust put on last August, I went with the aluminized, it still looks like the day I picked it up.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i do ALOT of mud.....im running a SOLID system.....which means no welds, the only welds on the entire system are off of the y pipe and those are perfect beads that im going to ahve cermaic coated(the entire y pipe)

im bolting the entire exhaust system up in one piece and will ahve pics when its done

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i do ALOT of mud.....im running a SOLID system.....which means no welds, the only welds on the entire system are off of the y pipe and those are perfect beads that im going to ahve cermaic coated(the entire y pipe)

im bolting the entire exhaust system up in one piece and will ahve pics when its done
A straightpipe sounds like crap on a V-6, I would rethink your plan if you plan on doing more than mud bogging it on weekends. I lost everything behind the cab of my Ranger mudding once (muffler was part of that) and it was a fricken long drive home. That was my rusty peiced/clamped together exhaust. Let me tell you, the best sounding V-6 is one you can barely hear. Now I have a like new factory original stainless cat-back system off of a 1997 F-150 on my Ranger, and I welded it all together this time.:icon_hornsup:

Sometimes I am such a tightwad I almost scare myself.:fie:

Last edited:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
na, i got some stainless glasspacks clamped midway with some stainless bandclamps.....not really one piece, but is as solid as if it was.......the only place i MIGHT see it rusting is where the hangers are.....there held on with stainless bandclamps, but the hanger itself is just steel

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I replaced my exhaust with a Gibson cat-back. Truck was three months old, stock exhaust was covered in rust already. Funny, I thought the OE system was stainless.
I got the aluminized Gibson, mostly because I lease a new truck every three years through my company. No point in spending extra for long-term stuff. On the advice of someone at the Sport Trac site, I painted the new exhaust with silver hi-temp paint before installing it.
I washed the oil off with Dawn and roughed it up with some #400 sandpaper first. No rust so far after one month.

roc0999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
aluminum does not rust !!!, Although it will corrode from salt I work in south Florida in the aluminum wondow and door business and salt will mess up some aluminum within a couple years but that is being exposed to the salt air constantly everyday all day long so unless you live on the beach you should be alright

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is a HUGE difference in different types of stainless. The stock exhaust to the back of the cat is 409 stainless. It turns rusty within weeks and will rust out in as little as 10 years. 304 stainless will NEVER rust and if it is welded with stainless wire or 308 rod the welds will never rust either. I weld it with 308 rod It is the easiest thing there is to weld with a stick welder. 304 stainless is VERY expensive. If you can afford to do your whole exhaust system in 304 you would be stupid not to, you will never have to maintain it.
Aluminum does rust! Sometimes worse than steel, It is just CALLED something different (oxidation).

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Im not sure where your from, but aluminized piping does rust...fast. I've had both my tailpipes that were aluminized piping on my dual exhaust rust out on me within a month during the winter time. I live in West Virginia, soo when it snows they layer the road with salt. Not a good thing for a vehicle. By all means, if you have the money, go for the stainless steel.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals