• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Explorer Oil Pump Location?

94EXPLODER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 150k
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1994 Explorer EB edition...i want to replace my oil pump becuase the oil pressure is on the low side...just did oil change thought that might help bring up the pressure but it didnt....where is the pump located and is this a tough job...i have a 3inch body lift idk if that would help me any gettin it out...any other things that could cause oil pressure to be on the low side??? its not leaking any oil at all either...
thanks greatly appreciated!

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Low oil pressure isn't likely to be a pump problem, so you're wasting your time.

Pumps don't make pressure. They make volume. Pressure happens when something resists that volume. THERE is where your problem lies.

And with a truck of your vintage, correcting the real problem would cost more than getting a working used engine.

Honestly, if it isn't making a racket, it can wait.

94EXPLODER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 150k
Transmission
Automatic
ok...yea its not making any lifter noise or anything its running perfect i would just like the oil pressure up a lil more..its still in the normal range but towards the low side.... thanks for the help!:)

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my trucks guage is reading just very slightly below the normal ranger for oil pressure. I know since it has almost 300 000 km's on it the bearings are probably showing their age. The engine runs good and sounds fine except for a small tick noise. I know the dash guages are known to not be very accurate so i want to run an oil pressure test but i'm not quite sure how to do it. Any help?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you believe that stock gauge, I have a bridge for sale.

It's a SWITCH. It is either on or off. It is not low. Period.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you believe that stock gauge, I have a bridge for sale.

It's a SWITCH. It is either on or off. It is not low. Period.
How big is the bridge? How far does it span? Can it be moved with a trailer? Where are you located? Is it wood or concrete? How many lanes?

Just wondering!!

Put a manual guage on it and see where it is. My stock guage did the same thing and I put a manual guage on mine and I still have 40 PSI at start up and 25 after it is warm. That is with 317,000 miles.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
How big is the bridge? How far does it span? Can it be moved with a trailer? Where are you located? Is it wood or concrete? How many lanes?

Just wondering!!
This photo ought to answer most of your questions.

For sale cheap. One owner. Bridge is located in New York.

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
does someone want to tell how to run a manual oil pressure check?

94EXPLODER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 150k
Transmission
Automatic
Yes...anyone?? i need to run one also to see if my guage that supposedly isnt soo great at being accurate is some what close to the real pressure....thanks!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i had my hopes up for this bridge....you didnt tell us it was USED :sad:

to run a pressure test with a REAL gauge you need to tap into the pressure fitting on the block. if your just going to test it, you can just unscrew the stock sender and screw in the fitting for the mechanical gauge...then swap them back later.

if you want to leave the mechanical gauge in (recommended) then you need a "T" fitting so you can screw the fitting for the mechanical gauge and the sender for the stock gauge in at the same time (that is provided you give a hoot if the stock gauge continues to function).

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i had my hopes up for this bridge....you didnt tell us it was USED :sad:
Not only is it used, but it comes preconfigured with a traffic jam.

Sorry. For new bridges, you have to go to the dealer. Unless you can find one "new in box."

Exploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
furd
Transmission
Automatic
know I'm new an butting in, but I just cant resist.

:beer:

If you want to install a manual oil psi gauge, here is what you need to do.

#1. Go spend $25 and buy a manual at the local parts store.

#2. look up the oil psi sending unit in the manual. (this is the little thinggy that the wire for your stock gauge hooks on):icon_cheers:

#3 Go back to the parts store and purchase a mechanical oil pst gauge (and all the little parts that go with it to make it work. ie line (might be brass or nylon, etc...

#4 Drink 3 or 4 beers and a couple of shots of crown to make sure you have the sufficient combination of courage and mechanical aptitude for the job.

#5. Decide where you want to drill holes in the dash to mount the gauge. (the gauge should be mounted, not you mounting the gauge):icon_twisted:

#6. Unhook wire to sending unit.

#7. unscrew old sending unit. (good job, so far, have another beer or 2 for pre-success celebration) :icon_cheers:

#8. Route the new oil line that Im' sure came in your kit and will be long enough. from the back of the gauge, to the spot where the old sending unit used to be.

#9. Invent some new swearwords while you discover the line in the kit is either, kinked, too short, or just plain hard to put where you want it. :pissedoff:

#10. Install fitting for the oil line in place of the old sending unit. (It did, come in the complete kit right).

#11. Install oil line in fitting and to back of gauge.

#12, You deserve another shot of crown.

#13. ah, luck 13. Check to make sure the oil line is connected, free from hot thinggys like exhaust, free from moving thinggys like doors and hoods.

#14. Fire up the motor and look to see A) how much oil psi you have and B) check for leaks. :bad:

Just a note of caution. If you have an oil leak there, you can pump your pan dry in less than 5-10. This tends to have expensive consequences. So I recommend you check and recheck your work.

Now on to your original question. The oil pump is in the same place as all the other 4.0's :)

It's inside your oil pan. It's usually a pain in the ass to change. Sometimes you can shim an oil pump to get more psi. If you really have lost psi it means your motor is getting loose tolerances (worn motor). The way to fix that involves taking the motor out and completely rebuilding it. :yahoo:

TTFN

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Way too many numbers to follow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals