• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need some help with Exterior Changes to a 92 Ranger Ext Cab

Trailrated92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wanting to make some major changes this summer to a '92 Ext cab Ranger a buddy gave me recently . Need some help /advice .

I already know a Gen III ( 93 and up ) bed will be a direct bolt on as long as the length is same same . My local yard has several great condition ones for about 500 . What about the front clip ?? Can I convert to a '93 or newer one relatively easily ?? I'm guessing I'm gonna need the rad support in addition to the fenders , grill , headlight buckets ,hood, etc . I know its probably a full weekend project to swap over , I'm more concerned with whether or not its mostly a "bolt on " swap or if I'm going to need mad fabrication /welding skills to make it work .

Will the body lines be "passably close " with the '92 doors , or will it be glaringly obvious ? I have the good fortune of having a "body shop " guy in the family that can help , so maybe we can smooth and recrease the doors to make the bodylines closer if need be .

If the proposed conversion I have in mind is going to be to much of a PITA or expensive , then does anyone know where I can find a ground effects type kit for a '92 ??? Trying to find one with a rear roll pan , front bumber cover and air dam with driving light cutouts and side ( rocker ) skirts . I know Xenon USED to make one , but apparently they stopped production due to the age of the truck . Im shooting for a "presentable" street style truck , something that looks as nice as it will go . An engine swap and paint job will also be forthcoming . This is my summer project and my head is full of ideas I want to try and pull off .

I searched the Tech Forums and didnt have much luck , so Im bringing my questions to the experts !

Any and all help appreciated .

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
have you looked at a 92 and a 93 ranger side by side? the body lines AREN'T EVEN CLOSE, so NO, the front clip is NOT going to work, sorry! Even if you swap the core support, you'll never get the doors to align with the fenders. The only way to do a frontend swap like that is to get flaired fiberglass fenders, but thats for a prerunner look, not a street look.

If you want a gen III, get a gen III.

You can find a body kit for gen IIs here.... http://www.stillen.com/
www.godfathercustoms.com also sells front bumper covers for Gen IIs.

Other than that you could try and find yourself a Ranger GT, they came with a factory ground effects kit.

Trailrated92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals