• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Considering Buying a '95 Ranger 4X4 - Need Advice!

acleme1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone. After reading through some posts, it looks like I'm in the right place. I am considering buying a 1995 Ford Ranger XLT, but I am having some reservations because of a few problems it has. I was wondering if someone out there could look over the problems, and give me some sound advice as to whether I should buy this truck. Here's the situation:

FACTS:
1995 Ford Ranger XLT
4X4 Automatic Transmission
4.0L V6
137,000 Miles
$3,750.00 asking price.

THE GOOD:
Interior looks like a new truck.
Exterior in good condition.
Engine clean and looks great.
I can tell it has been well-cared for.
One-owner.
All service records were kept and are available.
Overall, it's a nice looking truck that seems to be well cared for.

THE BAD (potentially)...
1. After driving for a long period of time (1-2 hours) in high outdoor temperatures (above 85), the owner says that the transmission slips when shifting from 2nd into 3rd. He says it doesn't do it in the winter, and not very often in the summer. The owner says it's been doing this for the last 60,000 miles, and that I shouldn't worry about it.

2. Once again, after driving for a long period of time (1-2 hours) in high outdoor temperatures (above 85), the owner says that when you come to a stop, like at a convenience store, that the truck will not idle at low speeds. It sputters and dies. Once the truck cools, everything is fine again. And once again, the owner says it's been doing this for the last 60,000 miles, and that I shouldn't worry about it.

3. When I took it for a test drive, I noticed a "clunk" in the back when coming to a complete stop, and then again when starting again. It kinda feels like there something in the bed that's rolling around.

Well, that's about it. I'm worried about buying the truck because of the problems listed above. What do you guys think. It's a good-looking truck at a fair price - just not sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I bought a slightly dented 98 4X4 3.0 5SPD for 3K.

A tranny overhaul will cost well over a grand if it's done right.

acleme1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
how many miles were on your truck when you bought it? also, does it sound like the tranny is going out?

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I dont know much about the late model trannies, but it could just need an adjustment.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
definitely sounds like the tranny is puking.

if i could knock him down to $3k, i'd probably take it. you might be able to get away with adding a huge tranny cooler and running it like it is (at least for a few thousand miles).

chances are its already burning up inside...in which case you could probably get a "decent" tranny out of the junkyard, or even just buy a new one.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I would walk away from it. I paid $2500 for a 91 Explorer in perfect condition (for something with 98,000mi) 4 years ago and drove the snot out of it. the only issue I had with it was it needed a battery and brakes. Sorry ....... somebody tells me its been doing it for 60,000 miles and not to worry about it sounds like a snake oil salesman.

I once looked at a 95 ranger 4x4 (about 3 months ago) and when I shifted into 5th there was nothing, like being in neutral, he tried telling me it was a ghost gear and some of the 4.0Ls came with a 4spd with a ghosted 5th....... I pulled out my laptop and showed him trs, and told there is no such transmission. he said the ford mechanic that sold it to him had told him that..... I told him that the overdrive gear had spun on the shaft and he also had a cracked head or blown head gasket..... he wanted $3500 for it with 135,000 ........... I offered him $950 and ended up buying the toyota.

point is ......... walk away from it and keep looking. 3k is too much to pay for something with transmission problems.......... Jim paid $2600 for TRS-2 and the only real problem it had was a blown hub.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Yeah that price seems kinda steep. It would be fine if it had the manual trans, but that's pretty high mileage for an auto. As for the clunk, it's probably nothing major, probably u-joints or something else cheap and easy to fix. Or it could be the tranny itself making the clunk noise.

The idle problem when it's hot definately sounds like sensor / engine control problem, which are never expensive unless you replace 10 sensors before getting the one that's bad...

My overall recomendation: look for one with a stick. As for the minor issues, I wouldn't worry about them. After driving RBV's for the last 4.5 years, I've learned that almost all issues short of a tranny can be fixed for less than 100 bucks on a saturday.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The clunking is probably the slip yoke on the driveshaft, very common problem. Greasing it will slow it down, replacing the shaft is a longer term fix.

The other two problems could be related, could be a vacuum drop causing both- the modulator valve could be losing vacuum as well as the engine. I would check the tranny fluid and make sure it is not burnt smelling or brown. If it isn't, get him to drop the price more if you really want it. Transmission might be overfull with fliud too, that would cause it to foam and act goofy on a longer trip. Doesn't sound like a total POS, and I think the guy was very honest about a problem you may never encounter if you always make short trips. If the price gets low enough it might be a deal. But then again it could be a total pice, your call. Let us know what you decide.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
the knocking could be the rear diff getting low. we just had that issue with our van at work. offer him 3k if he takes it to a shop you send him to and gets a new tranny put in it. chuck

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
First, 85 degrees is NOT THAT HOT unless it's Celsius (then, you're on Venus). If this thing has the SLIGHTEST problems in warm temperatures, it's (as AllanD might say) fooked.

Second, 137K miles isn't very much. Things should not be failing unless maintenance has been skipped. OR if it has a 5 digit odometer and it's really 237K miles.

I think the transmission is dead and that's why it's for sale. Vacuum problems might cause incorrect shifting, but it's just not plausible that it causes slipping. Slipping means something is wrong with the clutches and/or fluid or fluid control (valve body).

The clunking rear end could be anything behind the transmission. Cheap stuff is driveshaft related. Expensive stuff is a near-dead rear end.

The idle problem might be cheap, or it might be medium (e.g., a vacuum leak). I doubt it's expensive, but I'd encourage a leakdown and vacuum test by a qualified mechanic before assuming that.

I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for this thing as described. For $3750, it had better have NO problems. I might consider it if the owner covered the repairs, but I wouldn't count on that happening....

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, skip it. Those things are wiffle trannies. A rebuild by a shop that doesn't know what they are doing and is just replacing parts is going to fail in a couple thousand miles. Unlike a usual auto that dies from abuse and heat, these die because they are shit (built out of an old French C3 design) and unlike a C6 or something where you can slap seals and clutches in it and go, these will have bushings that need replaced and a new pump and such. That stuff isn't part of a hundred dollar overhaul kit most shops will want to throw at it--then charge you $1,200.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
he tried telling me it was a ghost gear and some of the 4.0Ls came with a 4spd with a ghosted 5th....... I pulled out my laptop and showed him trs, and told there is no such transmission. he said the ford mechanic that sold it to him had told him that...
Actually that's partly true, but a 95 wouldn't have that tranny anyway. The 5R55E 5 speed auto was in my old 02 Ranger and my current 05 Sport Trac but it only uses four gears. There are two second gears and the computer decides which one to use, but it does not shift through all five gears. .02. :icon_cheers:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Actually that's partly true, but a 95 wouldn't have that tranny anyway. The 5R55E 5 speed auto was in my old 02 Ranger and my current 05 Sport Trac but it only uses four gears. There are two second gears and the computer decides which one to use, but it does not shift through all five gears. .02. :icon_cheers:
Ah yes... Put it to the floor it used the lower 2nd gear, drive like a grandma and it used the higher gear.. Strange how it worked really.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Not to hijack a thread but you guys have it wrong on the shifting of a 5R55E.
It will shift 1-3-4-5 under light to medium throttle. Shift 1-2-3-4-5 under hard throttle. The extra gear comes from overdriving 1st gear-- the new 2nd gear.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
It was a manual transmission.......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals