• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Crack in Front Crossmember

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
I have a 1984 Ranger 4x4 and the front crossmember that the axle attaches to is cracked for the second time. Instead of rewelding it I would like to replace it, does anyone know if this crossmember is the same in a 4x4 Bronco II and 4x4 Ranger? The reason I ask is I was able to find a Bronco II at the junkyard with the engine already out and all the 4x4 Rangers still had engines in them. Thanks for any help.

High Desert Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1984 Ranger 4x4 and the front crossmember that the axle attaches to is cracked for the second time. Instead of rewelding it I would like to replace it, does anyone know if this crossmember is the same in a 4x4 Bronco II and 4x4 Ranger? The reason I ask is I was able to find a Bronco II at the junkyard with the engine already out and all the 4x4 Rangers still had engines in them. Thanks for any help.
I assume that you are talking about the cross member that is part of the frame and has the axle pivot for the passenger side axle.

That being said IIRC the cross member from all 4x4 1st gen trucks are either the same, or close enough to be compatible. I think that when you put your replacement cross member in that you should reinforce the areas that you have been having a problem with.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
...IIRC the cross member from all 4x4 1st gen trucks are either the same, or close enough to be compatible. I think that when you put your replacement cross member in that you should reinforce the areas that you have been having a problem with.
4x4 all same except if it has STX high rider brackets, same goes for 4x2. pics of crack and repair?

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
I'll take pics when the engine is out, the reason it cracked as far as I can tell is that the lift brackets for the front axle came loose allowing it to act as a lever and crack the cross member. After replacing it I will keep a closer eye on all the bolts.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Oh lifted is common to crack there if the bolts come loose. Use good fine thread grade 8, plenty of Loctite and a good torque wrench. Waitin for the pics though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals